[comp.unix.questions] Serial drivers in SysV ver4.

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (08/06/90)

I just tried to install version 4 and had problems with the serial driver.
Has anyone written a better serial driver than the one that comes with it?
And does the serial driver support the 16550 UARTS?  I tried to install
the FAS driver, but the kernel compilation process would bomb out because
of missing functions.  Someone mentioned that the driver was streams based.
Has anyone ported the FAS driver over?  I had excellent performance with in
under 3.2.  Thanx for any tips on this.

Jesse W. Asher
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
UUCP: {fedeva,chromc}!dynasys!jessea		Evening: (901)382-1609

gemini@geminix.mbx.sub.org (Uwe Doering) (08/07/90)

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

>I just tried to install version 4 and had problems with the serial driver.
>Has anyone written a better serial driver than the one that comes with it?
>And does the serial driver support the 16550 UARTS?  I tried to install
>the FAS driver, but the kernel compilation process would bomb out because
>of missing functions.  Someone mentioned that the driver was streams based.
>Has anyone ported the FAS driver over?  I had excellent performance with in
>under 3.2.  Thanx for any tips on this.

Yes, SYSV R4 tty drivers are streams based. SYSV R3.2 drivers are not.
Therefor FAS won't work under R4. Porting will be non-trivial. As I'm
not exactly keen on installing a non-stable beta release of SYSV R4 at
this time it will take at least half a year before I could do the port
myself.

But BTW, does anyone know whether the streams interface has changed from
R3.2 to R4? If it hasn't changed I could try to port it to R3.2 streams
and hopefully it will work on R4, too.

Any hints are welcome.

    Uwe
--