[comp.unix.questions] Where is "netlib"?

murray@bwilab3.UUCP (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.) (07/30/90)

Can anybody tell me the address of the "netlib" mail server?  I thought
it was an AT&T thing, but I can't seem to locate a UUCP address for it
so that I can send it mail.

If this is the wrong group for this posting, apologies.

Murray Hertz

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/01/90)

In article <108@bwilab3.UUCP> murray@bwilab3.UUCP (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.) writes:
>Can anybody tell me the address of the "netlib" mail server?  I thought
>it was an AT&T thing, but I can't seem to locate a UUCP address for it
>so that I can send it mail.

netlib@research.att.com
	or
uunet!research!netlib

The first message you send should be "send index."

jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com (mailhost) (08/02/90)

From article <108@bwilab3.UUCP>, by murray@bwilab3.UUCP (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.):
> Can anybody tell me the address of the "netlib" mail server?

From their help file:

The Internet address "netlib@research.att.com" refers to a gateway
machine at AT&T Bell Labs in Murray Hill, New Jersey.  This address
should be understood on all the major networks.  For systems having
only uucp connections, use the address uunet!research

Hope it helps!

Jeff Sullivan | Computervision/Prime | jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com
CADDS R&D     | Bedford, MA    01730 | sun!cvbnet!jsulliva

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (08/02/90)

In article <13465@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <108@bwilab3.UUCP> murray@bwilab3.UUCP (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.) writes:
> >Can anybody tell me the address of the "netlib" mail server?  I thought
>
> netlib@research.att.com
> 	or
> uunet!research!netlib

Although the above is undoubtedly what was asked for, I feel
obligated to point out that netlib is a piece of software
that is currently in use at a number of sites, not just
research.att.com.  In particular, uunet is running it to
provide mail access to some of its archives.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. -- Calvin

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (08/03/90)

In article <108@bwilab3.UUCP>, murray@bwilab3.UUCP (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.) writes:
> Can anybody tell me the address of the "netlib" mail server?  I thought
> it was an AT&T thing, but I can't seem to locate a UUCP address for it
> so that I can send it mail.
>
> If this is the wrong group for this posting, apologies.
>
> Murray Hertz

netlib is at "netlib@research.att.com" or "uunet!research!netlib"

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."

montnaro@spyder.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (08/05/90)

In article <3924@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:

   netlib is at "netlib@research.att.com" or "uunet!research!netlib"

I believe there is a beast called netlib residing at netlib@ornl.gov as
well.

--
Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) (08/08/90)

montnaro@spyder.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) writes:

>   netlib is at "netlib@research.att.com" or "uunet!research!netlib"

>I believe there is a beast called netlib residing at netlib@ornl.gov as
>well.

You want the one from netlib@research.att.com.  It is much more up to date,
with the last edit date of Jan 1990.  The ornl.gov one has a last edit date of
1988 or so.  You'll probably want to update /netlib/admin/bin/netchop with the
following script, since I found the distributed one not up to snuff, ignoring
stuff inserted by the mail system like >From and extra trailing blank lines.

#!/bin/sh
# 11 Jun 1990
# This script tries to reassemble partitioned mail.
# After saving the pieces in files   p01 p02 ... p09 p10 ...
# execute "netchop p* >whole" to get a single file without all the
# mail headers.
#
for i in $*; do
   sed -e '1,/^Starts next$/d' -e 's/^>From /From /' -e '$d' $i
done
--
David Paul Zimmerman                                     dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Systems Programmer						    rutgers!dpz