[comp.unix.questions] Suid script security

markw@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Mark Wolfe) (08/09/90)

    I know that suid scripts are a bad idea from reading comp.questions and
comp.wizards over the last year or so. It seems that just about every guru
in the world has posted a warning NOT to do it, so I decided I would follow
the advice (it's a rare subject that all guru's agree on). However, it appears
that I'm now about to have one of these ugly animals forced on me from above,
so I'd like some advice:

 1)  Just what are the security risks involved? (i.e. how would someone attack
     a system via one of these).

 2)  What can I do to make this as secure as possible?

    I know these questions have been asked and answered before on the net, but
I didn't save the notes because as I said before, I'd just planned never to do
it.

    Please help. If the answers are too sensitive (especially for no. 1), please
email your answers.

markw@hpbs1529.boi.hp.com

Mark

    Always remember: where ever you go...there you are.

     - Buckaroo Bonzai

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (08/10/90)

In article <14920003@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com>,
	markw@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Mark Wolfe) writes:
)...
) 1)  Just what are the security risks involved? (i.e. how would someone attack
)     a system via one of these).

See below.

) 2)  What can I do to make this as secure as possible?

Convert it to a C program or use the indir(1) package I wrote (or something
equivalent).  It's in one of the latest volumes in comp.sources.unix.
			Setuid Shell Scripts
			--------------------
			how to get them safe

			  Maarten Litmaath
			  (maart@cs.vu.nl)

Consider a setuid root shell script written in Bourne shell command language
and called `/bin/powerful'.
The first line of the script will be (without indentation!):

	#!/bin/sh

If it doesn't begin with such a line, it's no use to chmod it to 6755 or
whatever, because in that case it's just a shell script of the `old' kind:
the Bourne shell receives an exec format error when trying to execute it, and
decides it must be a shell script, so it forks a subshell with the script name
as argument, to indicate from which file the commands are to be read.
Shell scripts of the `new' kind are treated as follows: the kernel discovers
the magic number `#!' and tries to execute the command interpreter pointed out,
which may be followed in the script by 1 argument.
Before the exec of the interpreter the uid and gid fields somewhere in the user
structure of the process are filled in.
Setuid script scheme (kernel manipulations faked by C routines):

	execl("/bin/powerful", "powerful", (char *) 0);

	setuid(0);
	setgid(0);      /* possibly */
	execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "/bin/powerful", (char *) 0);

Now, what if the name of the very shell script were e.g. "-i"? Wouldn't that
give a nice exec?

	execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-i", (char *) 0);

So link the script to a file named "-i", and voila!
Yes, one needs write permission somewhere on the same device, if one's
operating system doesn't support symbolic links.

What about the csh command interpreter? Well, 4.2BSD provides us with a csh
which has a NEW option: "-b"! Its goal is to avoid just the thing described
above: the mnemonic for `b' is `break'; this option prevents following
arguments of an exec of /bin/csh from being interpreted as options...
The csh refuses to run a setuid shell script unless the option is present...
Scheme:
	#!/bin/csh -b

	execl("-i", "unimportant", (char *) 0);

	setuid(0);
	setgid(0);
	execl("/bin/csh", "csh", "-b", "-i", (char *) 0);

And indeed the contents of the file "-i" are executed!
However, there's still another bug hidden, albeit not for long!
What if I could `get between' the setuid()/setgid() and the open() of the
command file by the command interpreter?
In that case I could unlink() my link to the setuid shell script, and quickly
link() some other shell script into its place, couldn't I?
Right.
Yet another source of trouble for /bin/sh setuid scripts is the reputed IFS
shell variable. Of course there's also the PATH variable, which might cause
problems. However, one can circumvent these 2 jokers easily.
A solution to the link()/unlink() problems would be the specification of the
full path of the script in the script itself:

	#!/bin/sh /etc/setuid_script
	shift		# remove the `extra' argument

Some objections:
1)
	currently the total length of shell + argument mustn't exceed 32 chars
	(easily fixed);
2)
	4.[23]BSD csh is expecting a `-b' flag as the first argument, instead
	of the full path (easily fixed);
3)
	the interpreter gets an extra argument;
4)
	the difficulty of maintaining setuid shell scripts increases - if one
	moves a script, one shouldn't forget to edit it... - editing in turn
	could turn off the setuid bits, so one shouldn't forget to chmod(1)
	the file `back'... - conceptually the solution above isn't `elegant'.

How does indir(1) tackle the problems? The script to be executed will look
like:
	#!/bin/indir -u
	#?/bin/sh /etc/setuid_script

Indir(1) will try to open the script and read the `#?' line indicating the
real interpreter and a safe (absolute) pathname of the script. But remember:
the link to the script might have been quickly replaced with a link to another
script, i.e. how can we trust this `#?' line?
Answer: if and only if the file we're reading from is SETUID (setgid) to the
EFFECTIVE uid (gid) of the process, AND it's accessible and executable for
the REAL uid (gid), we know we're executing the original script (to be 100%
correct: the original link might have been replaced with a link to ANOTHER
accessible and executable setuid (setgid) script of the same owner (group)
-> merely a waste of time).
To check the condition stated above reliably, we use fstat(2) on the file
descriptor we're reading from, and stat(2) on the associated file name.
We compare inode and device numbers to make sure we're talking about the
same file.  Can you figure out why using stat(2) alone would be insecure?

Feature: we always check if the REAL uid (gid) has access to the setuid
(setgid) script, even if the effective id already differed from the real id
BEFORE the script was executed.  (There isn't even a way to find out the
original effective id.)
If you want the original effective id to be used, you should set the real id
accordingly before executing the script.

To deal with IFS, PATH and other environment problems, indir(1) resets the
environment to a simple default:

	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb

When you need e.g. $HOME, you should get it from /etc/passwd instead of
trusting what the environment says. Of course with indir(1) problem 4 remains.

				--------
--
   "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because
    that policy would also keep them from doing clever things."  (Doug Gwyn)

vlb@magic.apple.com (Vicki Brown) (08/11/90)

In article <14920003@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> markw@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Mark Wolfe) writes:

>    I know that suid scripts are a bad idea from reading comp.questions and
>comp.wizards over the last year or so. It seems that just about every guru
>in the world has posted a warning NOT to do it, so I decided I would follow
>the advice (it's a rare subject that all guru's agree on). However, it appears
>that I'm now about to have one of these ugly animals forced on me from above,
>so I'd like some advice:
>
> 1)  Just what are the security risks involved? (i.e. how would someone attack
>     a system via one of these).
>
> 2)  What can I do to make this as secure as possible?

Warning - very long response ahead.  Proceed at your own risk.

There was a very interesting paper in the USENIX Association's publication,
 ;login: ( "How To Write a Setuid Program", Matt Bishop, ;login:
Vol 12, Number 1, January/February 1987).  An excerpt:

    Some versions of UNIX allow command scripts, such as shell scripts,
    to be made setuid ... Unfortunately, given the power and complexity
    of many command interpreters, it is often possible to force them to
    perform actions which were not intended, and which allow the user to
    violate system security.  This leaves the owner of the setuid script
    open to a devastating attack.  In general, such scripts should be avoided.

    ... suppose a site has a setuid script of sh commands.  An attacker
    simply executes the script in such a way that the shell ... appears
    to have been invoked by a person logging in.  UNIX applies the setuid
    bit on the script to the shell, and ... it becomes interactive...

    One way to avoid having a setuid script is to turn off the setuid
    bit on the script, and ... use a setuid [binary] program to invoke it.
    This program should take care to call the command interpreter by its full
    path name, and reset environment information such as file descriptors
    and environment variables to a known state.   However, this method
    should be used only as a last resort and as a temporary measure,
    since with many command interpreters it is possible even under these
    conditions to force them to take undesirable action.

The biggest problem with shell scripts is that you (the programmer /
administrator) have very little control over the programs which run within
the script.  As a very real example, I ran across a script which allowed
users to enter bug reports, using the "vi" editor.  The script was
setuid root, because it wanted to save files in funny places.  The programmer
had guarded against shell escapes (a known feature of vi), by making this
script the login shell.  However, he couldn't guard against another feature
	:e /etc/passwd

You can attempt to make your script as safe as possible by
	1) being very restrictive in your choice of UID.  That is,
	   make the script setuid for a non-privileged user, rather than root
	   (for example, if it must write a log file, could the log file
	   live in some locked area, accessed only by a new and otherwise
	   non-privileged account?)
	2) making the script setgid rather than setuid, with a very
	   restricted GID (see #1)
	3) ensuring that the script is short, very simple, and does not
	   make use of commands such as `vi', `mail' or anything interactive.
	   setuid programs should do ONE thing only, and in a non-complex
	   manner.
	4) setting the PATH, IFS, and other environment variables explicitly
	   within the script
	5) locking down the permissions on the script.  If possible allow it
	   to be run only by group members.  Never allow write permission.
	6) If your version of UNIX permits, take away read permission for
	   anyone other than the owner.  It's a bit harder to break
	   something if you can't see how it works.
	7) Rewrite it in C (carefully)
	8) Convince your management that they don't really need this.

If you plan to keep the script, or re-write it, try and get a copy of the
paper.  If you can't find it, send me mail.
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb@apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)

 >Now, what if the name of the very shell script were e.g. "-i"? Wouldn't that
 >give a nice exec?
 >
 >	execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-i", (char *) 0);
 >
 >So link the script to a file named "-i", and voila!
 >Yes, one needs write permission somewhere on the same device, if one's
 >operating system doesn't support symbolic links.
 >
 >What about the csh command interpreter? Well, 4.2BSD provides us with a csh
 >which has a NEW option: "-b"! Its goal is to avoid just the thing described
 >above:

Whereas the Bourne shell already has an option whose effect is to avoid
the thing just described above - "-".  Yup, just a dash by itself, as in

	#! /bin/sh -

>the mnemonic for `b' is `break';

To quote the C shell source code:

		case 'b':               /* -b   Next arg is input file */
			batch++;

so I don't think the mnemonic was intended to be "break"....