[comp.unix.questions] Tuning Ultrix

MURRELL%UNCVX1.BITNET@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (JIM MURRELL) (08/09/90)

I'm groping with ways to modify some of the overall systems parameters
under ULTRIX/UNIX (similiar to SYSGEN under man other operating systems).
Are the parameters in /usr/sys/h included when a new kernel is built?
Does anyone know which (if any) of the parameter files may be modified?
Unfortunately I don't have the source to figure a number of things out
and most people I ask don't deal with things like this.

-Jim Murrell

mchinni@pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) (08/09/90)

Jim,

Our system is a VAX 8600 running ULTRIX v3.0. If you're running different
hardware or a different ULTRIX version the answers below may change slightly.

> I'm groping with ways to modify some of the overall systems parameters
> under ULTRIX/UNIX (similiar to SYSGEN under man other operating systems).
> Are the parameters in /usr/sys/h included when a new kernel is built?

They are not explicitly included on the "cc" line through the makefile, but
they are probably included through the source code with "#include" lines.

> Does anyone know which (if any) of the parameter files may be modified?

I wouldn't try modifying any of these files. They seem to deal with various
standard system stuff like: error number list definitions, device mnemonic
definitions, filesystem definitions, etc.. They don't seem to deal with
any of the "normal" system tuning parameters like: TIMEZONE, DST, MAXUSERS,
MAXUPRC, PHYSMEM, NCPU, DMMIN, DMMAX, BUFCACHE.

These tunable parameters can be modified by changing them in the
/sys/hostname/makefile (our hostname is cc1 so our path is /sys/CC1/makefile).
In our makefile the first two lines are as follows:
IDENT=-DCC1 -DVAX8600 -DUFS -DNFS -DINET -DQUOTA
PARAM=-DTIMEZONE=300 -DDST=1 -DMAXUSERS=128 -DMAXUPRC=50 -DPHYSMEM=12 -DNCPU=1
-DDMMIN=32 -DDMMAX=1024 -DBUFCACHE=10
The PARAM line is really one long line in the makefile, but I show it split
here for the benefit of some mail systems.

Obviously after you change these parameters you should build and install a new
kernal.

Hope this helps.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
			    Michael J. Chinni
              Simulation Techniques and Workplace Automation Team
	 US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center
 User to skeleton sitting at cobweb   () Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
    and dust covered workstation      () ARPA: mchinni@pica.army.mil
      "System been down long?"        () UUCP: ...!uunet!pica.army.mil!mchinni
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

yedidya@bimacs.BITNET (Yedidya Israel) (08/13/90)

In article <24090@adm.BRL.MIL>, mchinni@pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) writes:

> These tunable parameters can be modified by changing them in the
> /sys/hostname/makefile (our hostname is cc1 so our path is /sys/CC1/makefile).
> In our makefile the first two lines are as follows:
> IDENT=-DCC1 -DVAX8600 -DUFS -DNFS -DINET -DQUOTA
> PARAM=-DTIMEZONE=300 -DDST=1 -DMAXUSERS=128 -DMAXUPRC=50 -DPHYSMEM=12 -DNCPU=1
> -DDMMIN=32 -DDMMAX=1024 -DBUFCACHE=10
> The PARAM line is really one long line in the makefile, but I show it split
> here for the benefit of some mail systems.
>
> Obviously after you change these parameters you should build and install a new
> kernal.

And after making config you have to reedit the makefile, isn't it
wiser to put the definitions in the configuration file ?
--
| Israel Yedidya, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan U, Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL. |
| Internet: yedidya@bimacs.biu.ac.il            Bitnet: yedidya@bimacs |