[comp.unix.questions] uucico hanging. LBOLT???

mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) (08/09/90)

I have noticed that every once in a while uucico decides to
hang. Well, this isn't really a big problem. Just kill the uucico
process, right? wrong. The process becomes a zombie with the
notation "LBOLT" listed as the event the process is waiting for
(as reported both by ps -axlw and sps -va). What is an lbolt
and how do I "give it one" or kill the unkillable process?
Note that bringing the carrier up on the modem does not work,
and neither does sending any signal from 1 to 15.
--
Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer:                      ___
N6QQQ                    |    "I ain't gonna touch it,     /   \    snap

In article <5442@quack.UUCP> mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) writes:
>The process becomes a zombie with the notation "LBOLT" listed as the
>event the process is waiting for (as reported both by ps -axlw and
>sps -va). What is an lbolt and how do I "give it one"

`lbolt' is the `lightning bolt' interrupt (shazam! :-) ), which occurs
once per second (in V6 it may have been once every 4 seconds or 4 times
a second; all I remember is that someone once mentioned that it changed
between V6 and V7).

Since the lightning bolt wakeup happens continually, it obviously is
waiting for something else, and merely using lbolt as a convenient way
to check periodically.  (This is what lbolt is for.)

>or kill the unkillable process?

To dream... the impossible dream....  Oh, right.  Well:

>Note that bringing the carrier up on the modem does not work ..

This probably means the answer is: `you can't'.

(Hmm, more verses: `To play the unbeatable rogue/To kill the
unkillable process/To hack where the guru won't go...' :-) )
	(New campus phone system, active sometime soon: +1 301 405 2750)

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (08/14/90)

In article <25998@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>`lbolt' is the `lightning bolt' interrupt (shazam! :-) ), which occurs
>once per second (in V6 it may have been once every 4 seconds

Yes:  if((time[1]&03) == 0) { ... wakeup(&lbolt); }

-- Richard

--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk