[comp.unix.questions] nutshell book on uucp

tr@lilly2.lab.fj.bapd (08/09/90)

I once saw a book on uucp communications.  It had the word "nutshell"
in the title, and I think it had a picture of an acorn on the cover.
Does anyone know where I can get this book or something else that
describes how to configure uucp on unix?

I prefer responses to be posted, but email to the address below is also
ok.  Sending email to the address in the header will not work.

Thanks.

Tom Reingold
AT&T                             att!journey!treingold
Juniper Plaza, Route 9           treingol@journey.att.com
Room 1A-133                      (201) 577-5814 [work]
Freehold, NJ 07728-3298          (201) 287-2345 [home]

vlb@magic.apple.com (Vicki Brown) (08/10/90)

In article <9008091533.AA00951@lilly2.lab.fj.bapd> journey.att.com!treingol@lilly2.lab.fj.bapd writes:
>I once saw a book on uucp communications.  It had the word "nutshell"
>in the title, and I think it had a picture of an acorn on the cover.
>Does anyone know where I can get this book or something else that
>describes how to configure uucp on unix?

	Nutshell handbooks are published by O'Reilly & Associates.  Possibly
available at your local (or mail-order) computer bookstore, or direct
from O'Reilly & Assoc (free catalog available) at:
		632 Petaluma Ave
		Sebastopol, CA  95472
		UUCP: uunet!ora!nuts
		INTERNET: nuts@ora.com

They now have pictures of different animals on the cover.  Also available:
	make, termcap, lex & yacc, lint, C, curses ...

   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb@apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (08/16/90)

In article <9008091533.AA00951@lilly2.lab.fj.bapd>, tr@lilly2.lab.fj.bapd writes:
> I once saw a book on uucp communications.  It had the word "nutshell"
> in the title, and I think it had a picture of an acorn on the cover.
> Does anyone know where I can get this book or something else that
> describes how to configure uucp on unix?

There are really two Nutshell handbooks on UUCP.  One is called "Managing
UUCP and Netnews", the other is "Using UUCP and Netnews".  Both are entries
in O'Reilly and Associates' series of Nutshell handbooks which cover a
wide range of Unix-related subjects including X-Windows, Unix in general,
and much more.  I don't have the address of O'Reilly handy, unfortunately,
but I'll post a followup regarding their address.

> Thanks.
>
> Tom Reingold

You're welcome! 8-)

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."

ambar@ora.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (08/17/90)

   From: rick@tmiuv0.uucp
   Date: 16 Aug 90 13:27:10 GMT

   There are really two Nutshell handbooks on UUCP.  One is called "Managing
   UUCP and Netnews", the other is "Using UUCP and Netnews".  Both are entries
   in O'Reilly and Associates' series of Nutshell handbooks which cover a
   wide range of Unix-related subjects including X-Windows, Unix in general,
   and much more.  I don't have the address of O'Reilly handy, unfortunately,
   but I'll post a followup regarding their address.

See my .sig for current addresses and phone numbers.

				AMBAR
ambar@ora.com						uunet!ora!ambar
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140; 617-354-5800
Book Orders => 632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
               800-338-NUTS (in CA 800-533-NUTS) FAX 707-829-0104

tr@lilly2.lab.fj.bapd (08/18/90)

I just noticed that /bin/mail will send mail with a bogus return
address if you want it to.  Just set the LOGNAME variable to whatever
you want.

Is this a glaring bug that everyone knows about?  Or is it something we
have to put up with for some reason.

Tom Reingold
AT&T                             att!journey!treingold
Juniper Plaza, Route 9           treingold@journey.att.com