[comp.unix.questions] Adding on to the history mechanism

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (08/19/90)

In article <24882@boulder.Colorado.EDU> anthony@lyra.Colorado.EDU (Anthony Veale) writes:
>Hello, world,
>
>I have a programming task that I set myself and I need a bit of advice on how
>to integrate this thing into my environment.  Here's a brief on what I want to
>do.
>
>I want to add on to UNIX the only good thing that I have found under VMS.
>(My work forces my choice of operating system.)  Namely, the VMS equivalent of
>the history mechanism.  For those who aren't familiar with it, you type Up-
>arrows and Down-arrows to scroll through the history list and you can insert
>and delete characters anywhere on the command line.

Gee, sounds like ksh, or tcsh, or bash ... There *really* are shells available
which do command line editing.  Why not just get one of them ???
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art