[comp.unix.questions] telnet escape charater

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B. Rahardjo) (08/03/90)

How would I disable telnet escape character ?
Sometimes in the middle of uucico (transfer files/mails) I got
telnet prompt again. (PS: we use ^^ (ctrl-^) as the default
escape character).

Thanks
-- Budi
--
Budi Rahardjo <rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca> <rahard@ee.umanitoba.ca>
Electrical Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada

john@math.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (08/05/90)

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B. Rahardjo) writes:

>How would I disable telnet escape character ?

I have absolutely no idea.

>Sometimes in the middle of uucico (transfer files/mails) I got
>telnet prompt again. (PS: we use ^^ (ctrl-^) as the default
>escape character).

Well, you can redefine the escape character to whater control sequence
you want.  Try (from within telnet) 'set escape ^*' where the * is whatever
character you would like.  I hope this will fix some of your problems!

>Thanks

No problem.  I hope it works.

						john

--
|  John R. Schutz                  | Internet: john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu   |
|  Center for Space Research	   | NeXTmail: ditto			    |

brendan@world.std.com (Brendan P Kehoe) (08/06/90)

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B. Rahardjo) writes:
>How would I disable telnet escape character ?

 You might try defining it as something that (should) never come through..
like ctrl-_ or ctrl-` ...

Brendan Kehoe | Soon: brendan@cs.widener.edu | temp: brendan@world.std.com
Also: brendan@chinet.chi.il.us | Preferred: bkehoe@widener.bitnet

> You might try defining it as something that (should) never come through..
>like ctrl-_ or ctrl-` ...

Or try "set escape off", if your "telnet" manual page says it works.
(SunOS 4.0.3's does, so does 4.3-tahoe's, 4.3BSD's may too.)

In article <3844@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> > You might try defining it as something that (should) never come through..
> >like ctrl-_ or ctrl-` ...
> Or try "set escape off", if your "telnet" manual page says it works.
> (SunOS 4.0.3's does, so does 4.3-tahoe's, 4.3BSD's may too.)

Or translate the escape character to something else. You'll probably
have to stick telnet under pty to do this: tr '^]' '^X' | pty telnet ...

Even better, double the escape character, so that it comes through
correctly on the other side. (Design flaw: there's no way to do this
without getting a telnet> in the middle of your output. Implementation
flaw: telnet has some race conditions, so don't feed it escape
characters too quickly.)

---Dan