[comp.unix.questions] stty erase, kill, and tab settings

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) (07/12/90)

When I login to my system over a modem, my erase and kill characters are
set differently (as reported by stty) than when I login on the console.
I'd like them to be the same without having to invoke stty.  I've searched
the manual pages for some clue as to what determines these settings.
There doesn't seem to be any way to specify them in /etc/gettydefs, and
I've tried changing the terminal type in /etc/ttytype also.

Also when logging in via modem, the tab key always expands to spaces.
I'd rather they didn't, but changing the stty settings (tabs tab[0-3])
doesn't help.

This is occuring on SCO's UNIX.  Can anyone give me any advice ?

Thanks.
--
Roger A. Cornelius          rac@sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac

ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward) (08/22/90)

In article <282@sherpa.UUCP>, rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) writes:

> When I login to my system over a modem, my erase and kill characters are
> set differently (as reported by stty) than when I login on the console.
> I'd like them to be the same without having to invoke stty.  I've searched
> Also when logging in via modem, the tab key always expands to spaces.
> This is occuring on SCO's UNIX.  Can anyone give me any advice ?

On SCO's XENIX System V ( I haven't used SCO's UNIX ) you can use the
command tset in your login script to map the type of terminal that is
defined for your tty port in /etc/ttytype to a particular terminal type.
Use the -m option, as:

   set noglob
   set term = (`tset -m ansi:ansi -m plugboard:kludge-wb -m dialup:\?wyse50     -m :\?nansi -r -S -Q`)
   if ( $status == 0 ) then
	   setenv  TERM     $term[1]
	   setenv  TERMCAP  $term[2]		# terminal data base entry
   endif
   unset term noglob

The /etc/gettydefs file may be setting your terminal to expand tabs to
spaces, but explicitly doing an "stty tab0" in your .login script should
work.  The tty settings are done before running .login.  You might try
setting the tabs in your .cshrc.  Some people's accounts are set up with
a .alias file that is executed from the .cshrc.  Make sure that .alias is
not resetting the tabs to spaces.  If you log into the same $HOME
directory, any .exrc file should also be the same.

Ray Ward                                          Email:  uunet!ctbilbo!ray
Voice:  (214) 991-8338x226, (800) 331-7032        Fax  :  (214) 991-8968
=-=-=-=-  There _are_ simple answers, just no _easy_ ones. -- R.R. -=-=-=-=