[comp.unix.questions] Help with multi file uudecode

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) (08/22/90)

If a binary file was uucoded into several files, say part01
part02 and part03, how do you uudecode?
I tried 'cat part01 part02 part03> part', then
'uudecode part'. It gave me error.
Thanks.

  Naiming Shen

troch@pilot.njin.net (Rod Troch) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug21.172650.12265@eng.umd.edu> naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) writes:

> If a binary file was uucoded into several files, say part01
> part02 and part03, how do you uudecode?
> I tried 'cat part01 part02 part03> part', then
> 'uudecode part'. It gave me error.
> Thanks.
>
>   Naiming Shen

If all the 'parts' where not broken up by someone else then they were
probably broken up by the uuencode program itself.
The proper procedure to uudecode something like this is to just give
the first filename, uudecode is smart enough to realize that there are
more than one file to decode and decodes all the parts and puts all
the little parts together to form the final output.

Try something like this:

		uudecode part01

You should end up with the final prog!!  You should not have to cat
all the files together.

Good luck,
Rod
--