[comp.unix.questions] Spy Programs??

senetza@hg.uleth.ca (Leonard Senetza) (08/14/90)

I have a few 'hostile' users on my system here.  I was wondering if anyone has
a 'spy' type of program that would allow me to watch/record/control other
users' sessions.  I could possibly write one myself, but why re-invent the
wheel?

The system here is Ultrix 3.1D.  We are running 1 server and 20 clients.
Respond to me and if there is enough interest, I'll summarize.

  |  Leonard Senetza            |  E-Mail: Senetza@HG.ULeth.CA            |
  |  Academic Consultant        |          Senetza%HG@UNCAEDU.BitNet      |
  |  University of Lethbridge   |   Phone: (403) 329-5162                 |
  |  Lethbridge, Alberta        |-----------------------------------------|
  |  Canada, eh?                |  Disclaimer: Why should I tell _them_?  |
  |  T1K 3M4                    |    What they don't know, can't fire me. |
  |         If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning,       |
  |                      you're probably talking to a dog.                |

jak@sactoh0.UUCP (Jay A. Konigsberg) (08/16/90)

In article <24123@adm.BRL.MIL> senetza@hg.uleth.ca (Leonard Senetza) writes:
>I have a few 'hostile' users on my system here.  I was wondering if anyone has
>a 'spy' type of program that would allow me to watch/record/control other
>users' sessions.  I could possibly write one myself, but why re-invent the
>wheel?

There are a few ways to do this. However, assuming you _are_ the
administrator of the system, there is one reasonably easy way.

Take the cables running to these hostile users terminals and splice into
them. Assuming everyone (including yourself) is using the same type of
terminal, you can then run the T from the splice to your terminal. To
be on the safe side, you probably don't want to connect the "write" pin
(2 or 3, I can never remember).

Other options include re-writing the shell, taping into their history
file and putting a `tee -a` into their .profile. Each method has varying
levels of information available.

One last option, available to anyone on a system, is to write a shell
daemon that does periodic "ps -lfu u_name" (or similar) to check their
processes and CPU activity. While this meathod doesn't show exactly
what a user is doing, it does provide useful information to an
administrator.

Jay @ SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.   UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!jak
If something is worth doing, its worth doing correctly.

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/16/90)

In <3715@sactoh0.UUCP> jak@sactoh0.UUCP (Jay A. Konigsberg) writes:

>In article <24123@adm.BRL.MIL> senetza@hg.uleth.ca (Leonard Senetza) writes:
>>I have a few 'hostile' users on my system here.  I was wondering if anyone has
>>a 'spy' type of program that would allow me to watch/record/control other
>>users' sessions.  I could possibly write one myself, but why re-invent the
>>wheel?
>>
>There are a few ways to do this. However, assuming you _are_ the
>administrator of the system, there is one reasonably easy way.

>Take the cables running to these hostile users terminals and splice into
>them. Assuming everyone (including yourself) is using the same type of
>terminal, you can then run the T from the splice to your terminal. To
>be on the safe side, you probably don't want to connect the "write" pin
>(2 or 3, I can never remember).

A similar, and possibly more useful, approach would be to run the
cable through a PC running one of those RS-232 diagnostic programs
that captures data.  Of course, you'd need a PC with two serial
ports.  Permanent records are always useful when legality time comes
'round.  And if the bad guy isn't using your usual type of terminal,
you can just save everything until you can figure out how his escape
codes work.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

Disclaimer:  I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/24/90)

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
>>Take the cables running to these hostile users terminals and splice into
>>them. Assuming everyone (including yourself) is using the same type of
>>terminal, you can then run the T from the splice to your terminal. To
>>be on the safe side, you probably don't want to connect the "write" pin
>>(2 or 3, I can never remember).

you must *not* connect send data! (if you your spy terminal will eat all
the signals).
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@netmbx.UUCP           VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93