[comp.unix.questions] Coherent info

greg@turbo.atl.ga.us (Greg Montgomery) (08/16/90)

I'm looking for some info and opinions on Coherent from any users of
it... I've talked to a tech at MW, and it sounds good, and a 386 version
and DOS emulation is under development, so I've been considering getting
it, but would like some opinions..

Please email any replies.

Thanks...

Greg

----
Greg Montgomery        Internet:  greg@turbo.atl.ga.us
                   UUCP (smart):  greg@turbo.UUCP
                   UUCP (route):  {rutgers,ogcise,gatech}!emory!turbo!greg

turnerk@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (TURNER KENNETH WADE) (08/17/90)

In article <2kTyN1w162w@turbo.atl.ga.us> greg@turbo.atl.ga.us (Greg Montgomery) writes:
>I'm looking for some info and opinions on Coherent from any users of
>it... I've talked to a tech at MW, and it sounds good, and a 386 version
>and DOS emulation is under development, so I've been considering getting
>it, but would like some opinions..

Some comments on Coherent: Small memory model only.  That means 64K max.  It is Unix V7 which is before BSD and SV.  The MW Group likes to put out nice cheap products.  This is just like that.  We got a copy at work and played with it a bit and did not suit our needs.
			Hope this helps.
					Wade Turner

gooley@sunb7 (Markian "Party Mineral" Gooley) (08/24/90)

Well, I was taken in by the hype and bought Coherent.  If they can't
provide longer pointers, back it goes.  Their ad talked nonsense about
"gigabytes of public-domain software"; a lot of that is going to be a right
pain in the keister to port if they provide only small memory model.
Otherwise it looks like a good old-style (V 7 or so?) Unix that would
be fun to have on an old '286 box.  Why MWC insists on shooting itself in
the foot in this way is beyond me.