[comp.unix.questions] MACH stripped from AT&T code ?

moeller@uniol.UUCP (Klaus Moeller) (08/16/90)

Hi

It was said somewhere( I don't know where) that the MACH Kernel
contains no AT&T code anymore.
Is this right or has somebody made a joke or is this planned for the future?

As far as I know, MACH still contains BSD code and BSD contains AT&T code.
Has the AT&T code been removed from MACH or is it still in the system via
the BSD code ?

		Thanks
				Klaus
--
 / Klaus Moeller, Leiteweg 2, 2940 Wilhelmshaven, West - Germany           \
<  moeller@uniol.uucp                  078326@DOLUNI1.BITNET                >

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (08/17/90)

In article <3229@uniol.UUCP> moeller@uniol.UUCP (Klaus Moeller) writes:
>It was said somewhere( I don't know where) that the MACH Kernel
>contains no AT&T code anymore.

This is a *very* common misconception.  The current Mach kernel
contains significant amounts of BSD code and requires an AT&T
license.  The 3.0 Mach kernel will be free of AT&T code, but how
useful it will be to the average user without an environment,
filesystem, device drivers, etc. (all would require licenses) is
left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Melinda Shore                             shore@mtxinu.com
mt Xinu                          ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/26/90)

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:

>In article <3229@uniol.UUCP> moeller@uniol.UUCP (Klaus Moeller) writes:
>>It was said somewhere( I don't know where) that the MACH Kernel
>>contains no AT&T code anymore.

>This is a *very* common misconception.  The current Mach kernel
>contains significant amounts of BSD code and requires an AT&T
>license.  The 3.0 Mach kernel will be free of AT&T code, but how
>useful it will be to the average user without an environment,
>filesystem, device drivers, etc. (all would require licenses) is
>left as an exercise for the reader.

as far as i know the Free Software Foundation will take the 3.0 Mach kernel
and add sprite's (distributed) file system etc to make up a working system.
i also *read* that the 3.0 Mach kernel is in alpha test (again: no warranty
on this statement).
hopefully thw Mach people will post a manual about how to write device
drivers for Mach, so other people may contribute drivers!!

i'm really looking forward to a GNU OS!!
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@netmbx.UUCP           VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93