[comp.unix.questions] Problems with mail in SCO Unix.

jaa@alana.UUCP (Alan Anderson) (08/20/90)

I'm running SCO Unix and I'm having some problems.  I can receive mail
but can't send it.  I didn't have an rnews, so I linked sendmail to
rnews and have been able to receive mail ever since.  But I still can't
send to a remote site.  Mail seems to work fine on the machine and between
systems on our NFS network.  But I can't send to a remotes site not on the
network.  News and files sent with uucp get transferred just fine.  One last
thing - I don't have MMDF installed and, at this point, don't want to
install it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Anderson

miker@efreet.UUCP (miker) (08/22/90)

In article <104@alana.UUCP>, jaa@alana.UUCP (Alan Anderson) writes:
> I'm running SCO Unix and I'm having some problems.  I can receive mail
> but can't send it.  [remainder deleted]
>
> Alan Anderson

I had the same problem with MMDF installed.  I fixed it by using uulist.
An MMDF utility.  I had to force MMDF to consult the uucp system files
and build a new database from them.  Do a man on uulist for instructions.

kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) (08/27/90)

In article <134@efreet.UUCP> miker@efreet.UUCP (miker) writes:
%In article <104@alana.UUCP>, jaa@alana.UUCP (Alan Anderson) writes:
%> I'm running SCO Unix and I'm having some problems.  I can receive mail
%> but can't send it.  [remainder deleted]
%>
%> Alan Anderson
%
%I had the same problem with MMDF installed.  I fixed it by using uulist.
%An MMDF utility.  I had to force MMDF to consult the uucp system files
%and build a new database from them.  Do a man on uulist for instructions.

The problem you guys are having is that there is a bug in the SCO Unix mailer
I suggest that you install the fix unx162 from SCO. This  will fix your problem

   Kevin Gribble               ..!iosys!utekza!kevin
   kevin@utekza.UUCP		Riches are a dream of the poor