[comp.unix.questions] Security

In article <172@herman.UUCP> det@herman.UUCP (Derek Terveer) writes:
>...  My gripe happens to be security.  I find
>the user/group/world security quite cumbersome and tedious to manage as a
>system administrator with a brood of ~70 users.  To me, a security scheme
>should be a tad more specific than Unix allows.

It isn't all that hard to implement an Access Control List scheme
for UNIX; the main difficulty lies in integrating it into the
existing system.  I plan to produce a simple ACL system sometime
this year (it's needed as part of a large application project) and
will make it available free to whoever wants it.  Most likely its
use won't be transparent (e.g., one might have to invoke a utility
to provide the access, rather than having it done by the shell or
other normal part of UNIX).

bannon@betelgeuse.csc.ti.com (Tom Bannon) (08/25/90)

In article <105269@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen)

As well as From: peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva)
> Security through obscurity is no security at all.

Hmmm...  I guess encryption is out then, being as it relies on the
ignorance of the key.  Ignorance, the absence of knowledge, seems to
play a fundamental role in security.  Even in Zero-knowledge proofs
if I understand them correctly.  You both seem to hold a different
viewpoint however.  Could you elaborate?

tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen):
> An unreadable binary is just annoying.  You can't run what or strings
> on it.  You can't adb it for your core dumps.

A good point.  Perhaps this points out a problem with what, strings,
and adb, i.e., the inability to read binaries that have restricted
read permission.  Whether there is a good general solution (setuid??) for
this problem under Unix I don't know however.  I would certainly like
to hear about any if there were.

Tom

bannon@csc.ti.com

I've received a lot of mail from people who didn't understand
my (or Peter's, it would seem) postings about readable binaries.
Permit me to elucidate.

The reason that you shouldn't try to protect yourself by making
system binaries unreadable is that you're not relying on password
interrogation or even setuid programs, but on pure, unreliable
ignorance.  Once the secret is out, it can't be taken back.  Never
rely on someone not knowing how to something to keep them from doing
it.  Someday you'll be sorry.

BTW, on these fascist systems with system binaries that aren't
readable, what happens when these binaries take a SIGQUIT or some
other coredump signal?  Do you get a core dump with text you can
read?  On most UNIX systems I know, you do, which blows your
wonderful security out of the water.  Of what about attaching
to running processes, such as with gdb?  It's your process, so
you can attach to it, right?  Then you can read its text!

There are lots of other ways.  Getting a hold of backup tapes
or root core dumps or all kinds of things will give away your
shop if you rely upon this method.

As to "who adb's system binaries,"  the answer is me and anyone
else who wants to track down what's broken when something breaks.
I don't always have root on the machine, but I still try to figure
out what happened.  Not being able to get at the binary is a serious
impediment to this.

--tom
--
 "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because
  that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." [Doug Gwyn]