[comp.unix.questions] A *real* difference

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/05/90)

In article <29138@netnews.upenn.edu> kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> I need to take two text files and show the differences between 'em. Nope,
>not just diff them. What I want to do is point out the *exact* differences
>on each line. ...

A program called "redline" does approximately what you want.
Its source was printed in the "Wizard's Grabbag" column in the
July 1988 issue of UNIX World.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/07/90)

A token-based diff is in the c.s.u archives: "spiff".
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

alan@mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) (09/08/90)

In article <13741@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <29138@netnews.upenn.edu> kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> > I need to take two text files and show the differences between 'em. Nope,
> >not just diff them. What I want to do is point out the *exact* differences
> >on each line. ...
>
> A program called "redline" does approximately what you want.
> Its source was printed in the "Wizard's Grabbag" column in the
> July 1988 issue of UNIX World.

Does anyone know of an archive site for u-w articles other than uunet ?
(Their ls-lR shows only 89 and 90 and 89 is empty)

--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >