[comp.unix.questions] problem with Curses on Sun

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (09/19/90)

Hello. I am having a strange problem with Curses on our Sun.
(SunOS 4.0.3) I have a simple program that uses Curses and
uses it's routine beep(). So I have "#include <curses.h>"
in my source code, and for cc, I used:
cc -O main.c -o main -lcurses -ltermcap
simple enough.
But it comes back with:
ld: Undefined symbol
   _beep
I couldn't figure out why it can't find beep(). Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Thomas.

--
    /*----------------------------------------------------------------------*/
   /*   Thomas Y. K. Wong     INTERNET:   thomas_wong@civil.ubc.ca         */

In article <24539@adm.BRL.MIL> twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) writes:
>uses it's routine beep(). So I have "#include <curses.h>"
>in my source code, and for cc, I used:
>cc -O main.c -o main -lcurses -ltermcap
>simple enough.
>But it comes back with:
>ld: Undefined symbol
>   _beep
>I couldn't figure out why it can't find beep(). Any suggestions?

Perhaps you compiled this in the BSD environment and the beep() isn't a
BSD supported function?  Try compiling it in the System V environment.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170