[comp.unix.questions] vi -> ex

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (09/19/90)

One can go from ex to vi by using the vi command within ex.  Is there a
way to go back to the ex session (and not just singular commands using ":")

--
     Peter Schmitt					UNIX/VMS Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center				Computing  Services

steinbac@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Gunter Steinbach) (09/20/90)

The Q command does that.  It's in TFM.

	 Guenter Steinbach		gunter_steinbach@hplabs.hp.com

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (09/20/90)

In article <24396@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, pete@othello.dartmouth.edu
(Pete Schmitt) writes:
> One can go from ex to vi by using the vi command within ex.  Is there a
> way to go back to the ex session (and not just singular commands using ":")

Capital-Q will get you back.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp
Treasurer, IEEE Computer Society

Internet: boykin@encore.com
Phone: 508-460-0500 x2720

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) (09/20/90)

In article <24396@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>One can go from ex to vi by using the vi command within ex.  Is there a
>way to go back to the ex session ....

Yes, within vi, whether started as you indicate or from the command line,
type a "Q".  This will drop you back into the line oriented ex mode.
Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com

omerzu@quando.quantum.de (Thomas Omerzu) (09/20/90)

In article <24396@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>
pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:

>One can go from ex to vi by using the vi command within ex.  Is there a
>way to go back to the ex session (and not just singular commands using ":")

Yes, it's the
	'Q'-command.

   Thomas Omerzu.       Internet: omerzu@quantum.de
    Quantum GmbH        Bitnet:   omerzu%quando@UNIDO.bitnet
  Dortmund,Germany      UUCP:     ...!unido!quando!omerzu

In article <24396@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>One can go from ex to vi by using the vi command within ex.  Is there a
>way to go back to the ex session (and not just singular commands using ":")

A big (as in capital) Q (for Quit visual mode) does the job.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

benji@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Jeff Benjamin) (09/21/90)

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:

> One can go from ex to vi by using the vi command within ex.  Is there a
> way to go back to the ex session (and not just singular commands using ":")

Simply use "Q" (shift-q) while in command mode.  I use this occasionally
to do multiple-line ex commands from vi.

-----
Jeff Benjamin                         {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpfcla!benji
Graphics Technology Division          benji@fc.hp.com
Hewlett Packard Co.                   Fort Collins, Colorado