[comp.unix.questions] problem with Curses on Sun - solved

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (09/19/90)

Please disregard my last posting concerning problems with the beep()
routine in Curses. What I didn't realize was that beep() is only
in the System V version of Curses. Therefore, I had to use
/usr/5bin/cc -O main.c -o main -lcurses -ltermcap

Thomas.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/19/90)

In article <24540@adm.BRL.MIL> twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) writes:
>/usr/5bin/cc -O main.c -o main -lcurses -ltermcap

Please, folks, the Berkeley termcap support library is -ltermlib.
-ltermcap is sometimes found as a link to it, for compatibility reasons.
Also, in the System V environment -lcurses suffices; it includes
terminfo-based emulations of the termlib functions.

chet@cwns1.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (09/25/90)

In article <13909@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Please, folks, the Berkeley termcap support library is -ltermlib.
>-ltermcap is sometimes found as a link to it, for compatibility reasons.

I think this is backwards.  The termcap support library has been -ltermcap
since 4.0 BSD was released.  Grepping through the `Changes in the VAX
system in the Fourth Berkeley Distribution, November, 1980' document reveals
the following:

	.BP termcap
	Is the new name for the previously misnamed \fBtermlib\fR library.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``Levi Stubbs' tears run down
Network Services Group			  his face...''