[comp.unix.questions] How to stop VI's beeping?

gt0701a@prism.gatech.EDU (FRANK,MARTIN ROBERT) (09/24/90)

As a longtime VI user I'm pretty experienced in it but there is
one really annoying thing about VI:
Every time you make an 'error', like trying to go past the left
border, VI beeps; driving not only me but also my officemates
nuts.
Is there any possibility to get rid of this (short of destroying
the speaker of my terminal?

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (09/24/90)

In article <14018@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt0701a@prism.gatech.EDU
(FRANK,MARTIN ROBERT) writes:
> As a longtime VI user I'm pretty experienced in it but there is
> one really annoying thing about VI:
> Every time you make an 'error', like trying to go past the left
> border, VI beeps; driving not only me but also my officemates
> nuts.
> Is there any possibility to get rid of this (short of destroying
> the speaker of my terminal?

You could turn down the volume :-)

Some versions of VI have a 'flash' option (:set flash), which will
turn beeps to screen flashes.  I find this even more obnoxious than
the bell.

The other choice is to change termcap entries.  You'll probably
see "vb=^G" or no 'vb' entry in your termcap entry.  Change this
to "vb=" and no more bells.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp
Treasurer, IEEE Computer Society

Internet: boykin@encore.com
Phone: 508-460-0500 x2720

ruhtra@turing.toronto.edu (Arthur Tateishi) (09/27/90)

In article <12789@encore.Encore.COM>, boykin@encore.com(Joseph Boykin)
writes:

>In article <14018@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt0701a@prism.gatech.EDU
>(FRANK,MARTIN ROBERT) writes:
>> As a longtime VI user I'm pretty experienced in it but there is
>> one really annoying thing about VI:
>> Every time you make an 'error', like trying to go past the left
>> border, VI beeps; driving not only me but also my officemates
>> nuts.
>> Is there any possibility to get rid of this (short of destroying
>> the speaker of my terminal?
>
>You could turn down the volume :-)
>
>Some versions of VI have a 'flash' option (:set flash), which will
>turn beeps to screen flashes.  I find this even more obnoxious than
>the bell.
>
>The other choice is to change termcap entries.  You'll probably
>see "vb=^G" or no 'vb' entry in your termcap entry.  Change this
>to "vb=" and no more bells.

An easier way is to turn off the beeps.
:set noerrorbells
--
``Sex and drugs? They're nothing compared with a good proof!''
                                - A Cambridge student  (r.h.f)