[comp.unix.questions] System V dot 4

henry@hourglass.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (09/18/90)

Can anyone shed light as to the current status of System V.4?

Where can a person go to purchase a machine that runs V.4 as
espoused by AT&T.

Has it actually been released yet?  Does it really exist at all?

	Thanks,
		........  Henry

duc@uport.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) (09/21/90)

henry@hourglass.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:

>Can anyone shed light as to the current status of System V.4?
=================
System V.4 is available from Microport to anyone who wants it,
BUT - at this time - it should only be bought by people who
know unix and C well.  It is basically being sold now so that
developers can start their V.4 work.  It is not recommended as
an end user platform at this time.  The final "end user" version
will be ready in several months (+/-) and everyone who has
bought V.4 will get the upgrade free.

>Where can a person go to purchase a machine that runs V.4 as
>espoused by AT&T.

Most ISA machines that run V 3.2 should handle V.4 .  The EISA
machines are more of an unknown - I don't know one way or the
other.  Does anyone out there with V.4 use an EISA machine?

Richard

--
Richard Ducoty                    ..uunet!claris!netcom!uport!rduc
Microport Inc.

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (09/25/90)

In article <344@uport.UUCP>, duc@uport.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) writes:
> Most ISA machines that run V 3.2 should handle V.4 .  The EISA
> machines are more of an unknown - I don't know one way or the
> other.  Does anyone out there with V.4 use an EISA machine?

Yes.  We are running it on several different EISA systems, and it
is stable.  Of course it's not Microport V.4, but....  ;-)

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (09/27/90)

In article <10156@uudell.dell.com> jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:
>In article <344@uport.UUCP>, duc@uport.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) writes:
>> Most ISA machines that run V 3.2 should handle V.4 .  The EISA
>> machines are more of an unknown - I don't know one way or the
>> other.  Does anyone out there with V.4 use an EISA machine?
>>

>Yes.  We are running it on several different EISA systems, and it
>is stable.  Of course it's not Microport V.4, but....  ;-)

is anyone out there running Rel 4 on 3b2/400 or 3b2/500?

i know these were part of the porting base, but is anyone using it in actual
work, or is it still mostly beta sites?

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]