[comp.unix.questions] How to mail binary files UNIX<-->VMS?

casbs@csli.Stanford.EDU (Lynn Gale) (10/03/90)

We want to send binary files back and forth from a Sun (UNIX) to a Vax
(VMS) through email to Great Britain.  These are WordPerfect 5.1
formatted files which have been uploaded to the Sun or the Vax.

Mailing from UNIX to UNIX seems to work fine by doing "uuencode" at
one end and "uudecode" at the receiving end.  This encodes the file
into ASCII (for email), then decodes it back to binary.

Is there a VMS equivalent command such that a uuencoded file can be
decoded?  Or is there an alternative process available to get binaries
back and forth from UNIX to VMS through the mail?

The Vax users in Britain have used "makeboo" and "deboo" programs to
encode and decode binaries, but we don't know what to do with "boo"
files in UNIX!

lynn@casbs.stanford.edu
lynn%casbs@stanford.bitnet

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (10/03/90)

In article <15624@csli.Stanford.EDU> casbs@csli.stanford.edu (Lynn Gale) writes:
>We want to send binary files back and forth from a Sun (UNIX) to a Vax
>(VMS) through email to Great Britain.

Well, there is VAXHAX, which can be obtained from DECUS.  It is a VMS binary
to ascii converter.  (A VAX Unix version probably exists, but I admit to
knowing very little about VAX Unix.)

I suspect that uuencode/uudecode is also available for VMS.  Your best bet is
to contact DECUS.

Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications               OR apcihq!apcidfw!digi!kgallagh