[comp.unix.questions] lpr

marcus@sun-of-smokey.mit.edu (Jeff Marcus) (09/30/90)

We are having a problem with the lpr command (used to spool files to a laser printer and
print them.) When we use the -r switch to remove the file after being spooled, a message is printed that the file cannot be removed and it is not removed. There does not appear to be anything weird about the file protection (it is rw for the owner and group). Also, this used to work and has stopped working over the last month or so. If anyone has any ideas, please send me e-mail at marcus@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu. Thank you.
      Jeff Marcus

brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Brian Feinberg) (10/04/90)

In <1990Sep29.171842.28988@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> marcus@sun-of-smokey.mit.edu (Jeff Marcus) writes:

>We are having a problem with the lpr command (used to spool files to a laser printer and
>print them.) When we use the -r switch to remove the file after being spooled, a message is printed that the file cannot be removed and it is not removed. There does not appear to be anything weird about the file protection (it is rw for the owner and group). Also, this used to work and has stopped working over the last month or so. If anyone has any ideas, please send me e-mail at marcus@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu. Thank you.
>      Jeff Marcus

Have you checked the permissions on /usr/lib/lpd?
It should be 6711, and owned by root, group daemon. The leading 6 means
set-uid and set-gid.

-- Brian Feinberg
--
Brian Feinberg <brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>