[comp.unix.questions] Unix software and USSR

steve@altos86.Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) (09/26/90)

>	Vadim Antonov
>	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
>	(It is NOT a joke!)

A while back you mentioned that you have the source to BSD, etc., over there
at the Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Tell me, do I just not understand
the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
the USSR? I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?
We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.
--
Steve Scherf
steve@Altos.COM    ...!{sun|sco|pyramid|amdahl|uunet}!altos!steve

These opinions are solely mine, but others may share them if they like.

sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (09/26/90)

In article <4113@altos86.Altos.COM> steve@Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>                                       ..... Tell me, do I just not understand
>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>the USSR? I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?
>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.
>--
>Steve Scherf
>steve@Altos.COM    ...!{sun|sco|pyramid|amdahl|uunet}!altos!steve

You are a little confused. U.S. Dept of Commerce regulations forbid the
export of the DES encryption algorithm (source, binary, or on paper) outside
of the U.S. or Canada. There is no reason to restrict Unix source code.
I don't know why you should conclude from Dmitri's posting that he has any
source at all, anyway.
Unix vendors make up a slightly different release version for international
shipment, using different encryption code.
[Discussions on the sanity of the regulations please to talk.politics.misc].

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) (09/26/90)

In article <4113@altos86.Altos.COM> steve@Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>A while back you mentioned that you have the source to BSD, etc., over there
>at the Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Tell me, do I just not understand
>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>the USSR?

	Of course we're not allowed but we have it. These ......
	(I mean COCOM) can not realize that the result of their
	so called "regulations" is quite simple - practically all
	software in SU are pirated or re-constructed. Western software
	& hardware manufacturers could get a big profits selling it
	in SU if such regulations would never exist.

	Hmmm... COCOM is the only reason why Soviet electronics
	industry is still exist :-) Now we can see how Soviet computers
	disappear and replaced with Western ones. Generally speaking
	our (American and Soviet) militarians worked together for
	a long period - they always had contacts and still scare peoples
	and governmetns in order to get more money. A kind of mafia.

	Anyway we have no any deals with militarians - KIAE is quite
	civil institute and runs joint projects with American physicists.
	Now the main directions of KIAE's work is increasing reliability
	of nuclear power stations and fundamental research works.

>I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?

	Yes. And a lot of books containing the description of this
	algorithm. (Why they did not forbid exchange of math theories? :-)
	This information is quite widespread here in Soviet Union.
	If you like to make information well-known you should declare
	it as a secret. :-)

>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source!

	Hmmm... We live in the one world. Let's fight against
	mindless politicans together! (Subject for talks.politics).

	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
	program:

main()
{
	char *crypt();

	printf("%s\n", crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX"));
}

	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

	Vadim Antonov
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
	(It is NOT a joke!)

leendert@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van Leendert) (09/26/90)

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:

#main()
#{
#	char *crypt();
#
#	printf("%s\n", crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX"));
#}
#
#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
I get:

	XX0/imINzSUs.

This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).

Leendert

--
Leendert van Doorn 			   		<leendert@cs.vu.nl>
Vrije Universiteit / Dept. of Maths. & Comp. Sc.

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep26.124217.918@hq.demos.su> avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>In article <4113@altos86.Altos.COM> steve@Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>>A while back you mentioned that you have the source to BSD, etc., over there
>>at the Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Tell me, do I just not understand
>>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>>the USSR?
>
>main()
>{
>	char *crypt();
>
>	printf("%s\n", crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX"));
>}
>
>	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

Sorry, wrong.  At least on a Sun.

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (09/27/90)

In article <4113@altos86.Altos.COM> steve@Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>>	Vadim Antonov
>>	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
>A while back you mentioned that you have the source to BSD, etc., over there
>at the Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Tell me, do I just not understand
>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>the USSR? I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?
>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.

You are allowed to ship - if you get a licence. Digital has one, so now they
are the first to ship Kerberos outside US. But - back to DES - Unix was
previously no no, don't know if that has been lifted, but when Berkley shipped
4.2 to Europe, and probably the rest of the world they forgot to take out DES.
Rumours say that the lawyers said -'You shouldn't have done that' and Berkeley
said -'Oh, you wan't to help us to retrieve the tapes?'. Apart from that there
are many many DES implementations not written in the US, and therefore not
restricted. Check out the one which was distributed in comp.sources.something,
it was carefully set up not to pass the US, which is illegal, but sent both
from Australia and Finland I think. Such rubbish.

Per
--
Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,

jc@mips.COM (J.C. Webber III) (09/27/90)

My answer disagrees with the Russian's. I got XX0/imINzSUs on our Mips
machine.

gt0178a@prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS,JIM) (09/27/90)

in article <1990Sep26.124217.918@hq.demos.su>, avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) says:

> 	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
> 	program:

> 	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

Not quite - I get:

XX0/imINzSUs.
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

dmr@alice.att.com (test) (09/27/90)

Most people including me don't understand the regulations well.
Here are some facts, but please don't take them as comprehending
the rules.

1) The DES algorithm itself as used to encrypt passwords was
never subject to embargo and was regularly shipped overseas
without special license, and if the source was included,
libc/gen/crypt.c was there.

2) crypt(1) and the 'encrypt' entry point in crypt(3)--as opposed
to the 'crypt' entry point used for passwords--were removed
from overseas distribution.  The distinction was fine.  Approximately,
the one-way character of the password mechanism did not fall within
the protected area, whereas the ability of both crypt(1) and
the general DES encode-decode to produce secret messages put
them in the category of things that needed licences for export.
Note that DES was not treated specially here-- crypt(1) is not
DES, for example.  (Though doubtless any mention of 'DES'
served as a flag to the watchful.)

3) The new piece of information is that USL has announced that
these two programs are no longer subject to this restriction
and USL will no longer need to distinguish 'foreign' and
domestic distributions.

4) I know only few details of official source licensing of Unix software
outside the US, but it is worth noting that this sort of thing
is not all-or-nothing and various considerations apply.
In some cases export licenses may be needed, and the question
is how easy they are to get.  (In the 'crypt' case for example
licenses were the crucial thing, and the issue was that although they
were not impossible in principle, they were just too much of a pain).

Sometimes it is not the US government that is involved.  There are
several countries whose own laws or policies caused AT&T
to avoid source distribution not because of ideology, but they did
not recognize the notion of 'trade secret' in a way considered
acceptable to AT&T.

5) Two tidbits.  For some years now, it has been possible for
institutions in the PRC to get a Unix source license, but the
real problem for them has been the lack of hard currency to
buy them.  As a semi-independent fact, I learned that a group
in the Chinese Academy of Sciences took a binary distribution
of some version of Unix and reverse-engineered the object
files so as to make them produce messages and diagnostics
in Chinese.

I have been told that the fastest way for one of the universities
in Finland (Helsinki? Tampere?) to get the BSD 4.x (for some x) distribution
was to have their friends in Leningrad send them the tape.
I know no more.  I trust this is apochryphal, but it's cute.

	Dennis

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (09/27/90)

leendert@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van Leendert) writes:

|avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:

|#main()
|#{
|#	char *crypt();
|#
|#	printf("%s\n", crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX"));
|#}
|#
|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
|I get:

|	XX0/imINzSUs.

|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).

|Leendert

Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
Ridiculous isn't it?

>--
>Leendert van Doorn 			   		<leendert@cs.vu.nl>
>Vrije Universiteit / Dept. of Maths. & Comp. Sc.
>Amoeba project / De Boelelaan 1081
>1081 HV Amsterdam / The Netherlands
--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

gt0178a@prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS,JIM) writes:

>in article <1990Sep26.124217.918@hq.demos.su>, avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) says:

>> 	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
>> 	program:

>> 	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

>Not quite - I get:

>XX0/imINzSUs.

I got the same result on our IBM, and the manual explicitly says they did
not include the original DES program because it is not allowed.

It seems that now also in the US a slightly modified version is used in order
to be compatible with the rest of the world?

Then only in the SU they use the real DES algorithm.  -:)

--

jc@atcmp.nl (Jan Christiaan van Winkel) (09/27/90)

> said -'Oh, you wan't to help us to retrieve the tapes?'. Apart from that there
> are many many DES implementations not written in the US, and therefore not
> restricted. Check out the one which was distributed in comp.sources.something,
> it was carefully set up not to pass the US, which is illegal, but sent both
> from Australia and Finland I think. Such rubbish.

And don't forget the implementation (in PASCAL) of DES in Andrew S. Tanenbaum's
book 'Computer Networks'!

Would it be allowed to bring a copy of it into the States and then back out
again? I don't think so. Everyone seems to have it, but it is not allowed
to transport it via the USA.

I wonder - how much paperwork is done in vain for this silly DES rule?
--
___  __  ____________________________________________________________________
__/ \__/ ____________________________________________________________________

a20@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Marten Terpstra) (09/27/90)

In article <1585@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:

>>Not quite - I get:
>
>>XX0/imINzSUs.
>
>I got the same result on our IBM, and the manual explicitly says they did
>not include the original DES program because it is not allowed.

Same here, altough in Europe again. (GOULD/ENCORE NP1 with UTX3.2 = BSD4.3)

Marten
--
Marten Terpstra                                  National Institute for Nuclear
Internet : terpstra@nikhef.nl 		                and High Energy Physics

wsinpdb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (09/27/90)

>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.

I think there are few European sites who do not have the DES part of the
C-library. These old export rules really make very little sense in a world
with has e-mail. (Getting accross the ocean with a floppy is very easy too.)

However, I must admit that the russians are a bit open about the software
they probably "found" somewhere and copied illegaly...

Paul.

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (09/27/90)

In article <7745@star.cs.vu.nl> leendert@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van Leendert) writes:
>avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>I get:
>
>	XX0/imINzSUs.

At a guess I'd say the Soviets (wonder how long before that gets changed)
had the correct implementation of DES. Doesn't unix run a slightly altered
version of DES?

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (09/27/90)

In article <807@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:
>You are a little confused. U.S. Dept of Commerce regulations forbid the
>export of the DES encryption algorithm (source, binary, or on paper) outside
>of the U.S. or Canada. There is no reason to restrict Unix source code.
                ^^^^^^
we just recieved our Sys V source license which basically says that there is
a US domestic release and an "international" release.

we, in Canada, are barred from DES as well.

with some minor paper work we could around it.

but, why bother? the source is available all over.

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) (09/27/90)

>> 	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
>> 	program:
>
>> 	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

	Hmmm... It seems to me there are a whole lot of DES versions
	floating around. Secrecy paranoya yielded the fruits: another
	point of incompatibility in Unixes. (If you like to use
	crypt in net programs you should attach your own version of crypt
	instead of system provided one).

	(The comment from the beginning of crypt.c I have:

/*
 * This program implements the
 * Proposed Federal Information Processing
 *  Data Encryption Standard.
 * See Federal Register, March 17, 1975 (40FR12134)
 */

	Hey, agents! Are you listening? :-)

	Vadim Antonov
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
	(It is NOT a joke!)

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (09/28/90)

>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>|I get:
>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).
>|Leendert

>Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
>we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
>the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
>Ridiculous isn't it?

I have both the international and the (USA) domestic versions of
the crypt library on our System V/386 machine and they both
yield XX0/imINzSUs.

The manual states the only difference between the libraries
is that decryption is not available in the international version.
What's the last word on this subject?
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) (09/28/90)

	...what should crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX") return?...
	In URSS:
>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
	In Europe (and USA?!?):
>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
>Ridiculous isn't it?

Particularly as our non-URSS version seems to spell out something
like "nothing, I'm in SU"!  Jung or R.A.Wilson would have enjoyed
this "synchronic coincidence"...

--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) staff@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex@am.sublink.org

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.165746.2035@hq.demos.su> avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>>> 	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
>>> 	program:
>>
>>> 	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>
>	Hmmm... It seems to me there are a whole lot of DES versions
>	floating around. Secrecy paranoya yielded the fruits: another
>	point of incompatibility in Unixes. (If you like to use
>	crypt in net programs you should attach your own version of crypt
>	instead of system provided one).
>
>	(The comment from the beginning of crypt.c I have:
>
>/*
> * This program implements the
> * Proposed Federal Information Processing
> *  Data Encryption Standard.
> * See Federal Register, March 17, 1975 (40FR12134)
> */

Hey, i have the same comments, but I don't get the same result.
If I compile with cc I get:
	XX0/imINzSUs.
If I compile with gcc I get:
	XX3FF./IFI/II

I guess that means that I have the modified version, but whoever
modified it did not leave any comments about it.

Does anyone know what modifications have been done?
For different reasons i had to replace the login program.
Unfortunately the original (Xenix) login program is using another
encryption algorithm (maybe the original DES?), so now some utilities
does not work. Like su, single-user-login, passwd, etc. And I don't
have sources for those programs.

Of course that increases the safety -- you cannot "su root" any more :-)

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.220758.1185@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>>|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>>|I get:
>>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>>|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).
>
>>Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
>>we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
>>the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
>>Ridiculous isn't it?
>
>I have both the international and the (USA) domestic versions of
>the crypt library on our System V/386 machine and they both
>yield XX0/imINzSUs.
>
>The manual states the only difference between the libraries
>is that decryption is not available in the international version.
>What's the last word on this subject?

The last word is that the crypt that unix runs isn't DES. Its a modified
form of DES. What this means, effectively is that people can't build
a DES chip to try and crack passwords for unixen derived from the US,
but they can for the soviet one.

Dylan.
--

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (09/28/90)

In <1990Sep27.220758.1185@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>>|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>>|I get:
>>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>>|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).
>>|Leendert

>>Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
>>we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
>>the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
>>Ridiculous isn't it?

>I have both the international and the (USA) domestic versions of
>the crypt library on our System V/386 machine and they both
>yield XX0/imINzSUs.

>The manual states the only difference between the libraries
>is that decryption is not available in the international version.
>What's the last word on this subject?

Well I don't know about the last word, but the C comment he posted is most
certainly from crypt.c as contained in BSD 4.1. Whether this is the same as
in v7 I do not know, nor do I know how and when things changed. The only
thing I do know is the the NSA (or whoever was responsible for not allowing
export of the DES code), are the biggest load of idiots that I have ever had
the misfortune to know of. As was pointed out, the standard was published,
it's been re-implemented N times, things travel by Email or floppy etc. Why don't
they just admit defeat and let it be exported ?!? It has unpleasant implications
for such things as secure NFS, if not - it's hard to run if you can't have a DES
chip in your machine :-( :-(

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

trt@rti.rti.org (Thomas Truscott) (09/29/90)

Just a thought:  if your version of crypt.c has line
that declares "L" and "R" to be arrays of size 32,
your version is depending on L and R being allocated
adjacent to each other.  This is an ancient bug that
no one ever bothers to fix.

Try instead:
	char L[64];
	#define R (L+32)
That might fix things.  Then again, maybe not.

	Tom Truscott

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) (09/29/90)

In article <4108@rtifs1.UUCP> trt@rti.rti.org (Thomas Truscott) writes:
>Just a thought:  if your version of crypt.c has line
>that declares "L" and "R" to be arrays of size 32,
>your version is depending on L and R being allocated
>adjacent to each other.  This is an ancient bug that
>no one ever bothers to fix.
>
>Try instead:
>       static char L[64];
	^^^^^^                  - my $0.02, avg
>	#define R (L+32)

	I've done it; and it works! The new test result is: XX0/imINzSUs.
	(As you can see this bug splitted world into two parts :-)

	Thank you, Tom!

	Vadim Antonov
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
	(It is NOT a joke!)

Regarding the export of DES technology, here's something to curl the hair on
your toes:

One product I was contemplating to manufacture needed the DES algorithm.  So
I called the local Motorola Sales Office and asked for some samples (as I do
for other potential products).

When I arrived at my office the next day, sitting on my desk were several
tubes of chips (MC6859, and other goodies) and about 30 pounds of docs.

Affixed to the tube containing the MC6859 chips (the hardware implementation
of DES) was a notice boldly proclaiming (paraphrased (it's been a few years)):

	``These chips may not be exported without prior written authorization
	  from the Office of Munitions Control of the Department of State.''

And flipping the pretty purple ceramic chips with gold leads upside down
reveals the country of manufacture (or, at least, package encapsulation):

	``MALAYSIA''

Presumably the silicon was fabricated in Texas, then shipped to Malaysia for
entombment, then returned to the USA, then barred from further export.

Interesting, to say the least!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) in <1990Sep26.124217.918@hq.demos.su>
posted a short program using "crypt()" and claimed:

	``The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-) ''

Those of us running the program on USA-based UNIX systems receive instead the
different results:

	``XX0/imINzSUs''

Doesn't anyone get it, and the reason for Vadim's smiley faces?

Look at the USA-results again, this time with spacing added:

	XX0/  im  IN  z  SU   s

I interpret that to read:

	XX0/    "love and kisses"  (using "0" for "O" as in Biff's C0WABUNGA)
	im	I'm
	IN	in
	z	"the"
	SU	Soviet Union

Pretty clever if you ask me!

I suppose Vadim's postings bring new meaning to the joke with which I often
open UNIX meetings:  ``MS-DOS-vadanya''   :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk (Neil Readwin) (09/29/90)

In article <34374@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
|> [Vadim Antonov] posted a short program using "crypt()" and claimed:
|>
|> 	``The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-) ''

|> USA-based UNIX systems [get] ``XX0/imINzSUs'' [ which means ]
|> "love and kisses"  I'm in "the" Soviet Union

|> Pretty clever if you ask me!

Yeah, I guess finding a decent plaintext for an arbitrary crypt'ed
ciphertext is quite a neat hack.

 Disclaimer: 818  Phone: +44 71 528 8282  E-mail: nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk
 W Westfield: Abstractions of hammers aren't very good at hitting real nails

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/30/90)

In article <807@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:
>You are a little confused. U.S. Dept of Commerce regulations forbid the
>export of the DES encryption algorithm (source, binary, or on paper) outside
>of the U.S. or Canada. There is no reason to restrict Unix source code.

That's not correct, either.  You can obtain export licenses for the DES
part of UNIX, but on an individual case basis rather than a blanket
license.  AT&T deemed this not worth the trouble.

In general, "technology transfer" IS a concern, which is why, for example,
Thompson & Condon's BELLE was not allowed to be shipped to Moscow for the
international chess tournament.  I don't know whether or not UNIX is still
on the restricted list for shipping to communist-bloc countries.

In article <1584@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:
>leendert@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van Leendert) writes:
>|avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>|	XX0/imINzSUs.
>|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).
>Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too, ...

No, the "real" crypt() produces XX0/imINzSUs.

The "international version" modification, last I heard, consisted simply
in disabling the decryption portion of the library function.  Passwords
should encrypt to the same ciphertext in both versions.

In article <662@atcmpe.atcmp.nl> jc@atcmp.nl (Jan Christiaan van Winkel) writes:
>I wonder - how much paperwork is done in vain for this silly DES rule?

It's not simply a "silly DES rule".  The situation is that a number of
classes of items require explicit license in order to be exported.  This
is known as "export controls".  Cryptographic systems are among those
specifically identified as requiring export licenses.  DES is considered
a cryptographic system.  Licensing therefore is required, and in fact
would normally be granted upon request.

I don't say that any of this is a good idea, but if you want to complain
about it you first need to understand the situation.

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (09/30/90)

In article <4108@rtifs1.UUCP> trt@rti.rti.org (Thomas Truscott) writes:

>Just a thought:  if your version of crypt.c has line
>that declares "L" and "R" to be arrays of size 32,
>your version is depending on L and R being allocated
>adjacent to each other.  This is an ancient bug that
>no one ever bothers to fix.
>
>Try instead:
>	char L[64];
>	#define R (L+32)
>That might fix things.  Then again, maybe not.
>
>	Tom Truscott

YES!!

That fixes the bug so that crypt is compilable with gcc for an i386

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (10/01/90)

In article <7745@star.cs.vu.nl> leendert@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van Leendert) writes:
>avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>
>#main()
>#{
>#	char *crypt();
>#
>#	printf("%s\n", crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX"));
>#}
>#
>#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)
>
>Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
>I get:
>
>	XX0/imINzSUs.

I get this result too under SCO Xenix.

Come to think of it, i'm not in the USA either :-)

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

andrew@alice.att.com (Andrew Hume) (10/01/90)

	i recently received an internal memo to the effect that
crypt has just been allowed to be exported almost everywhere with
a normal export license (north korea, and some other weird countries
are excepted). i expect this applies to all exporters of unix (eventually)
but ask your lawyer to ask teh state dept fer sure.

thomas@uppsala.telesoft.se (Thomas Tornblom) (10/01/90)

In article <11394@alice.att.com> dmr@alice.att.com (test) writes:

   2) crypt(1) and the 'encrypt' entry point in crypt(3)--as opposed
   to the 'crypt' entry point used for passwords--were removed
   from overseas distribution.  The distinction was fine.  Approximately,
   the one-way character of the password mechanism did not fall within
   the protected area, whereas the ability of both crypt(1) and
   the general DES encode-decode to produce secret messages put
   them in the category of things that needed licences for export.
   Note that DES was not treated specially here-- crypt(1) is not
   DES, for example.  (Though doubtless any mention of 'DES'
   served as a flag to the watchful.)

Hi Dennis!

crypt(1) has nothing to do with DES, it is a "one-rotor machine designed
along the lines of the German Enigma". I don't think DES is or was subject
to any export restrictions.

At least in the man pages on our machines the only thing I could find that
was restricted was crypt(1).

Thomas

--
Real life:      Thomas Tornblom             Email:  thomas@uppsala.telesoft.se
Snail mail:     Telesoft Uppsala AB         Phone:  +46 18 189406

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) (10/01/90)

In article <4113@altos86.Altos.COM> steve@Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>>	Vadim Antonov
>>	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
>>	(It is NOT a joke!)
>A while back you mentioned that you have the source to BSD, etc., over there
>at the Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Tell me, do I just not understand
>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>the USSR? I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?
>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.

	One would guess that Soviet copywrite law is more lax than other
	countrys. Also, how are you going to prevent some arbitrary person
	in the US from walking into a computer store, getting a maxed out 486
	with all the hardware and software fixin's and walk out the door?

	Can you say KGB operatives? My guess is that they had some of
	their operatives get friendly with BSD grad students...

	Obviously the Soviets have to improve their respect of other
	country's copywrite law before they can be taken seriously
	in the software biz. I would assume this also goes in the patent
	relm for hardware.

	By the way, why do you think the NSA stopped using DES so long ago...

		-Rob

Speaking for self, not company.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.165942.21663@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>	By the way, why do you think the NSA stopped using DES so long ago...

We're breathlessly awaiting the answer to this riddle.
(Or is it a trick question?  Have you stopped beating your wife?)

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/02/90)

    From UNIX today 1-Oct-90, page 65:

Unix System Laboratories Europe said that the Department of COmmerce has
cleared for export to Eastern European countries licenses for Unix
System V source code.

The company also said that it has been successful in removing the
requirement for a separate international version of the UNIX System V
source code without the password security feature.  In the future, a
single Unix System V will be available in the United States and abroad.
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com
DeMott Electronics Co. 14707 Keswick St.   Van Nuys, CA 91405-1266
VOICE (818) 988-4975   FAX (818) 997-1190  MODEM (818) 997-4496 PEP last

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

alain@elevia.UUCP (W.A.Simon) (10/05/90)

In <632@demott.COM>, kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) says:

> Unix System Laboratories Europe said that the Department of COmmerce has
> [ ... ]
> source code without the password security feature.  In the future, a
> single Unix System V will be available in the United States and abroad.

	Specially since it was like closing the barn door
	after the horse had fled...  and a major pain for
	most of us, who did not seserve being treated like
	this (after all we are NATO allies!).

--

Alain
	    Home+Office: (514) 934 6320	        UUCP: alain@elevia.UUCP