[comp.unix.questions] Would this

bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Bill White ) (10/05/90)

	I'm in the late-development and early-programming stage of a
multi-person equivalent of talk.  Basically, it involves a daemon that
is very similar to ntalkd, with a few differences (notably, it doesn't
have a "canned" message to give to the user).  The program operates in
several modes, depending upon how many people are up, and local system
usage, so that the best use of resources can be made.  I have several
questions however; if you have advice, please give it (preferrably by
mail unless you have a topic you wish to discuss that may be of some
interest).

	- Should I use udp as talk/talkd does, or should I use tcp?

	- What socket protocol should I use; should I use out-of-band
data for control transmission, or is OOB data unreliable?

	- How often should the program check the load?

Additional suggestions are welcome.  In particular, does this sound like
something anyone would use or want?

|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	THE FIFTH RULE:							|
|		You have taken yourself too seriously.			|

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (10/05/90)

In article <2044@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Bill White ) writes:

>	I'm in the late-development and early-programming stage of a
>multi-person equivalent of talk.  Basically, it involves a daemon that
>is very similar to ntalkd, with a few differences (notably, it doesn't
>have a "canned" message to give to the user).  The program operates in
>several modes, depending upon how many people are up, and local system
>usage, so that the best use of resources can be made.  I have several
>questions however; if you have advice, please give it (preferrably by
>mail unless you have a topic you wish to discuss that may be of some
>interest).

I have already done this.  It is called chat and it uses curses to control
the screen.  I have it set up as a message based IPC but the IPC parts
are in separate files so that other schemes could be implemented relativly
easily.  The code was posted to comp.sources.unix.black.hole a few months
back.  If anyone would like to get a copy of this send me mail.  I will
mail it out to you or find some other group to post to if there is enough
response.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   MS-DOS:  The Andrew Dice Clay