[comp.unix.questions] Why idle users should be killed

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (09/30/90)

In article <13970@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Seriously, you seem to imply that there is some sort of "problem"
>that needs to be solved.  Just what IS the problem?

This is primarily a security issue. The problem is that users will walk off
and leave their terminals logged on, thus allowing someone else to walk up
to the terminal and gain the security privileges of the original user. An
auto-logoff is one way of fighting this problem with some chance that a
problem will be prevented rather than punished. An auto-lock is a better
solution, to me, but presupposes that a secure lock can be established.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/01/90)

In article <4133@lib.tmc.edu> jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
>In article <13970@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Seriously, you seem to imply that there is some sort of "problem"
>>that needs to be solved.  Just what IS the problem?
>This is primarily a security issue. The problem is that users will walk off
>and leave their terminals logged on, thus allowing someone else to walk up
>to the terminal and gain the security privileges of the original user.

Ah, but you don't solve that problem by timing out the connection after
a certain amount of inactivity; you merely reduce the time during which
some unauthorized person can exploit this situation.  To solve the problem,
you need to educate your users in the necessity of logging off or at least
running some sort of approved "terminal lock" program when leaving their
terminal unattended, and they must be convinced that they should do it AND
that failure to cooperate in computer security matters will result in
suitable corrective action, such as firing them or removing their access.
People problems need people solutions; attempts to automate technical
solutions generally don't really work.

In article <4133@lib.tmc.edu> jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
> This is primarily a security issue. The problem is that users will walk off
> and leave their terminals logged on, thus allowing someone else to walk up
> to the terminal and gain the security privileges of the original user. An
> auto-logoff is one way of fighting this problem with some chance that a
> problem will be prevented rather than punished. An auto-lock is a better
> solution, to me, but presupposes that a secure lock can be established.

Hey, folks, guess which program solves this problem too!

Rather than forcibly logging the tty out, disconnect it (by sending a
HUP to the pty signaller, for example). The user can log in any time
later and get back to exactly where he was in the session. Naturally,
this has the effect of an autolock: the user needs his password to log
in so that he can get back into the session. And it's not as drastic as
an autologout.

pty. It slices! It dices! It autodisconnects! :-)

---Dan

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (10/02/90)

In article <18986:Oct120:22:5990@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>pty. It slices! It dices! It autodisconnects! :-)

Yes, but does it run on System V with ptys?

Sounds like a cron daemon to figure out who's idle for some amount of time,
and then kill(pid,SIGHUP) the offenders, would be just the thing with everyone
going through pty.

Tell me, though, Dan: will it feed my cats when I'm away? :-)

--

irick@ecn.purdue.edu (GarBear Irick) (10/02/90)

Dan Bernstein writes:

>Hey, folks, guess which program solves this problem too!
>
>Rather than forcibly logging the tty out, disconnect it (by sending a
>HUP to the pty signaller, for example). The user can log in any time
>later and get back to exactly where he was in the session. Naturally,
>this has the effect of an autolock: the user needs his password to log
>in so that he can get back into the session. And it's not as drastic as
>an autologout.
>
>pty. It slices! It dices! It autodisconnects! :-)
>
>---Dan

Is there ANYONE else out there who is sick and tired of hearing people sing
the praises of pty?  It may be a durn fine piece of code, but I don't think
ANYTHING deserves the hype that I have been seeing...  Maybe, SOMEDAY, when
our machine *GETS* pty, I will see the light... :)  Please, let's suggest
some solutions with EXISTING tools, just ONCE, ok, Dan?  Not all of us are
fortunate enough to have "pty: the wonder-program", and would like to solve the
problem with old tools put to new uses.  One more "use pty, of course!" answer,
and I think I may be forced to bite the head of a live consultant...  :-)

--
Gary A. Irick,  Purdue University | "You can log out any time you like,
INTERNET: irick@en.ecn.purdue.edu |  But you can never leave!"

To answer your question, pty 3.001 and its first patch are available via
anonymous ftp to stealth.acf.nyu.edu (128.122.128.22) or through mail to
me at brnstnd@nyu.edu. They've been waiting on the comp.sources.unix
queue for a while; ask Rich Salz, rsalz@uunet.uu.net, for details. I'm
always here to help with installation and applications. pty should work
without trouble on any BSD 4.2 or 4.3 variant---but not on POSIX-based
systems. (I'm working on a port.)

In article <1990Oct2.062510.3419@ecn.purdue.edu> irick@ecn.purdue.edu (GarBear Irick) writes:
> Dan Bernstein writes:
> >pty. It slices! It dices! It autodisconnects! :-)
> Is there ANYONE else out there who is sick and tired of hearing people sing
> the praises of pty?

Well, not me, since I've been doing most of the singing. :-)

> It may be a durn fine piece of code, but I don't think
> ANYTHING deserves the hype that I have been seeing...  Maybe, SOMEDAY, when
> our machine *GETS* pty, I will see the light... :)  Please, let's suggest
> some solutions with EXISTING tools, just ONCE, ok, Dan?

It's not hype; I'm only describing working features of a program I've
written. If you want to get pty for your machine, send a polite note to
your sysadmin, or bring the code in and compile it yourself (though you
won't get most of the security features that way). And pty certainly
does exist.

Is it my fault that one program solves so many problems?

---Dan

net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) (10/04/90)

In article <10547:Oct220:47:2290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

> Is it my fault that one program solves so many problems?

Yes.  ``Do one thing well''.

--
Oliver Laumann     net@TUB.BITNET     net@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de     net@tub.UUCP

In article <1763@tub.UUCP> net@tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) writes:
> In article <10547:Oct220:47:2290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> > Is it my fault that one program solves so many problems?
> Yes.  ``Do one thing well''.

But that's what I did! I swear! I mean, it'd even chop a hundred lines
out of your ``screen'' program, while improving portability, if you used
pty! And out of telnetd and expect and window and lots of other programs!
Doesn't this qualify as doing one thing (pseudo-tty management) well?

Sort of like ``cat'', I think, except that cat has been around somewhat
longer. :-)

---Dan