[comp.unix.questions] real-time UNIX

daryl@mitre.arpa (08/24/87)

>Does anybody out there know anything about what kind of real-time
>Unix systems are available? (for things like automation,
>control, robotics, etc...).  I would appreciate any pricing information
>you may have also.

>>there's Regulus from Alcyon in San Diego, Unos from Charles River Data,
>>and something-whose-name-i-forget from Emerge Systems in Indialantic, Florida.
>>Masscomp has RTX.  and that's just some 680x0 ones that i'm aware of.

The something-whose-name-was-forgotten is RTUX.  They would thank you for
at least remembering the company name.  RTUX runs real-time processes on
the native UNIX CPU at higher priority than UNIX processes.
Facilities are available to communicate with UNIX processes and to communicate
with other independent real-time processors equipped with RTUX executives
not using UNIX.  This technique permits UNIX to be used as the development
tool, operator interface, and mass storage handler, but also permits the
UNIX native CPU to process real-time data without being burdened by the UNIX
task switching overhead.  Where bus bandwidth is a problem, use multiple
bus architectures and additional real-time single board processors
equipped with the RTUX stand-alone executive to share the task load.
General Motors (GMF) Robotics, Troy Michigan is a big customer.  Address
inquiries to Frank Aaron, EMERGE Systems, 114 6th Ave. P.O., Box 3175,
Indialantic, Florida 32903  (305) 723-0444.  Mention my name.

Another avenue to investigate is the suite pSOS, pROBE, pHILE, pRISM, and pUCP.
pSOS is a multitasking kernal for single board computers.  pROBE is a low level
debugger.  pHILE is disk file management system similar to UNIX's.  pRISM adds
multiprocessor capability to pSOS.  pUCP adds ability to communicate between the
UNIX system and other processors running pSOS.  Also, pUCP permits pSOS to be
emulated on the UNIX system.  Although pSOS is not an efficient real-time
solution on UNIX alone, it does permit marrying a UNIX system and external
real-time processors. The suite is made by Software Components Group, Inc.,
4655 Old Ironsides Drive, Santa Clara, CA. 95054.  Contact Linda Munz,
(408)-727-0707.  Mention my name.

					D.A.R.Y.L.

Daryl Crandall				daryl@dash.mitre.ORG
The MITRE Corporation			daryl@gateway.mitre.ORG
7525 Colshire Dr.			daryl@mitre-gateway.ARPA
Mail Stop Z425
McLean, VA 22102			NOTE: 1st form of address is prefered
(703) 883-7278				      for people with MX sendmail.

jbm@aurora.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (08/25/87)

We are running a real-time system that noone has mentioned yet;
it is called VENIX, and is sold by a company called Venturcom,
which is located in Massachusetts.  We run it on a PDP-11/73,
but they support a variety of machines.  There are a variety
of additional system calls:

nice(-100)			hog cpu
phys(...)			map I/O page (for instance) into user space

This system is OK, but there are a few bugs.

In my previous lab, we ran an old version 6 kernel (on an 11/23) which
had an enhancement (from Berkeley?) in the form of an rtp() system
call (real-time process).  This basically inhibited swapping.  As
we had kernel source, I was also able to do some things like squelch
lightning bolt clock interrupts.  I must admit I was never interested
in running a spreadsheet while doing a realtime task.  We did sometimes
run experiments with a second user editing at the same time, but
the performance for the second user was pretty poor.

I also had some experience with a Bell Labs in-house hack which provided
features similar to VENIX, i.e. mapping the I/O page into user space.
Another interesting feature it had was that you could set device
interrupts to trap to user space routines.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@ames-aurora.arpa)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

pf@diab.UUCP (08/26/87)

In need of a Real-Time unix compatible os. ( SYSV.2  SVID compatible,
handling trap queues an asyncrhonus events).

Make a call to :

Diab Systems inc.
323 Vintage Park Drive
Foster City, CA 94404.

They might be abel to help you.

dupont (Pierre Dupont) (10/04/90)

I would like to know of any real-time Unix implementations that are
System V compatible and claim to conform to the POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.4
standards. Any information such as the hardware platforms it runs on and
any first-hand experience with the product would be appreciated.

mbrown@tonic.osf.org (Mark Brown) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.171822.18380@mdivax1.uucp>,  writes:
|> I would like to know of any real-time Unix implementations that are
|> System V compatible and claim to conform to the POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.4
|> standards. Any information such as the hardware platforms it runs on and
|> any first-hand experience with the product would be appreciated.

This is gonna be kind of tough, considering that 1003.4 isn't a standard
yet (hence, no one can "conform")...

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |"Coffee for my breakfast, whiskey by the side
The Good     mbrown@osf.org | it's a dark and gloomy mornin',
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| gonna rain outside, outside ---
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |              ...and the forecast calls for pain."

gt0178a@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Burns) (10/04/90)

in article <1990Oct3.171822.18380@mdivax1.uucp>,  says:

> I would like to know of any real-time Unix implementations that are
> System V compatible and claim to conform to the POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.4

Add HP-UX to your list. It's SVID, and 1003.1 (don't know about 1003.4).

> standards. Any information such as the hardware platforms it runs on and

HP 9000/300 & 800

> any first-hand experience with the product would be appreciated.

Like what? I use mostly IPC's, not real-time priorities (implemented as
0-127, w/*no* automatic nicing for long running procs.) The 800 is
definitely a peppy system, and IMHO is one of the better combination
BSD/SysV implementations.
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

amen@SGI.COM (Bob Amen) (10/09/90)

From article <1990Oct3.171822.18380@mdivax1.uucp>, by <somebody>:
+ I would like to know of any real-time Unix implementations that are
+ System V compatible and claim to conform to the POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.4
+ standards. Any information such as the hardware platforms it runs on and
+ any first-hand experience with the product would be appreciated.

	Silicon Graphics version of Unix (IRIX) has guarenteed interrupt
response (time from receipt of interrupt to 1st line of user code) of 1.3
millisec.  It is SVID compliant and is POSIX 1003.1 compatable.  We are
working on full POSIX compliance which should be achieved by the next
release of IRIX (shceduled for sometime Q1 CY91).  When P1003.4 is decided
on SGI will implement the standards.
--
	      Bob Amen (amen@sgi.com) (+1 213 312-0227)
	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems -- Los Angeles Office