[comp.unix.questions] Kermit

crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) (04/07/88)

HELP!!

I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
IBM end). At the unix end I type set file type binary, and server. At the IBM
end I type get filename. Kermit seems to manage the first 2 packets but then
keeps retrying until it gives up. I've tried altering things like packet size
and end of line character, but this hasn't helped.

If anyone has successfully transferred binary files from unix to msdos using
kermit, could they please mail me with the settings they used.

Thanks

		Chris Rouch

vax to vax (UUCP)       CRouch@axion.bt.co.uk (...!ukc!btnix!crouch)
desk to desk            RT3124, 310 SSTF,
			British Telecom Research Laboratories,
			Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH, IP5 7RE, UK.
voice to voice          +44 473 646093

	"Ours is not to look back, ours to continue the crack."

rk@cs.strath.ac.uk (Richard Kingslake) (04/08/88)

In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:

>I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
>IBM end).

I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
MS-DOS via kermit.  I always uuencode the files on Unix, transfer the files
as ascii, then uudecode on MS-DOS.  This always works.  Of course, it
assumes that you have uudecode available on MS-DOS.  I do have such and
will post it if requested.  I got it from the net myself some months ago.

	Richard Kingslake

--
	Richard Kingslake

JANET:  rk@uk.ac.strath.cs
ARPA:   rk@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:   !seismo!mcvax!ulcc!strath-cs!rk   or    rk@strath-cs.uucp

ens598@leah.Albany.Edu (Eric Sheffer) (04/10/88)

In article <914@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk>, rk@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
> In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
> >I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
> >lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29
> >IBM end).
> >
> I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
> MS-DOS via kermit.  I always uuencode the files on Unix, transfer the files

  On the UN_X end, try implementing kermit with the -i flag.  It works for me.
                                                                   __  __
Eric Sheffer                                                      / / /  \
ens598@leah.albany.edu                                           / / / /\ \
Dept. of Geography and Planning                                 / /_/ / _\ \
The University at Albany          "No beach to walk on..."     /_____/ /____\

zjat02@apctrc.UUCP (Jon A. Tankersley) (04/10/88)

I have successfully used Ckermit with ProComm(sp?) and a few others,
even CMS kermit.  A couple of things to watch out for.
	1) some kermit implementation don't synchronize properly.  Ckermit
	   displays SF.....E(?) for a transfer.  ?, Q, N are all miscellaneous
	   error packets - N for Nack.  If it doesn't get past the F it is
	   probably a sync problem.  Another problem is the translation
	   character set.  Kermit HAS to have the same ASCII translations.
	   It uses an incremental character as a packet counter.
	2) Try it out of server mode.  Some server implementations don't work
	   very well.  A simple send/receive transmission might work.  It isn't
	   pleasant, but it gets the job done.  CMS Kermit (old version) would
	   often fail in server mode, getting 2 breaks in quick succession
	   would drop CMS into CP mode, no ifs, ands, or buts.
	3) try reversing the transfer if possible.
	4) Get Xmodem,Ymodem,Zmodem for UNIX and the PC.  They also work most
	   of the time.

-tank-

ns@maccs.UUCP (Nicholas Solntseff) (04/11/88)

I have never experienced any problems with kermit transfers between Unix
(BSD4.x) and MS-DOS.  I use MIRROR with its VT100 emulator as the PC terminal
emulator.

     TO perform MS-DOS to Unix transfer:

          in unix type kermit -ir

          in MIRROR type -- xk [d:] filespec

          This will transfer ALL files with path [d:] filespec to the unix
          default directory and use the MS-DOS file specs.

     To perform Unix to MS-DOS transfer

          in unix type kermit -is filespec

          in MIRROR type -- rk [d:]

          This will transfer all files from the default unix directory matching
          filespec to the MS-DOS drive d: and use the unix file names.

Note: the kermit server mode is not being used here.   I have had little
      success using the server mode.

Nick Solntseff

Nick Solntseff {ns@maccs.UUCP solntsef@mcmaster.BITNET}

ballard@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Constance M. Ballard) (04/11/88)

In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>HELP!!
>

>If anyone has successfully transferred binary files from unix to msdos using
>kermit, could they please mail me with the settings they used.

try setting parity even...worked for me......

coni

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/11/88)

In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
| HELP!!
|
| I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
| lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the

Parity, I think... I run no parity on everything, but you might try:
	kermit -i -p n -s FILENAME	# send 1 file mode
	- or -
	kermit -i -p n -x		# binary server mode

Your version of kermit may vary. You could also turn off parity in your
login, using stty.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

troeger@ttidca.TTI.COM (Jeff Troeger) (04/11/88)

In article <914@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> rk@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>>I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>>lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
>>IBM end).
>I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
>MS-DOS via kermit.  I always uuencode the files on Unix, transfer the files
>as ascii, then uudecode on MS-DOS.  This always works.  Of course, it
>assumes that you have uudecode available on MS-DOS.  I do have such and
>will post it if requested.  I got it from the net myself some months ago.

I have been downloading binary files using kermit for > 5 years now without
any problems. Chris's problem is with trying to use the "get" command while
in server mode. The command to use should be "receive" if you are going to
use the server. For binary files you also need to specify the -i switch
when invoking kermit, or setting the file type to binary when in the
interactive mode.
(.
(.
(. This
(. is
(. to satisfy rn
(. with
(. having less new text
(. than old text
(.
(.
(.
(.
(.
(.
(.
(.
--
Jeff Troeger
Citicorp(+)TTI

dwm@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Meeks) (04/11/88)

In article <715@btnix.UUCP>, crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
> HELP!!
>
> I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
> lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
> IBM end). At the unix end I type set file type binary, and server. At the IBM
> end I type get filename. Kermit seems to manage the first 2 packets but then
> keeps retrying until it gives up. I've tried altering things like packet size
> and end of line character, but this hasn't helped.
>
> If anyone has successfully transferred binary files from unix to msdos using
> kermit, could they please mail me with the settings they used.
>
> Thanks
>
> 		Chris Rouch

I would  first  check  that the  parity and other stty like settings on  both
are set correctly; parity must be the same even if it is not used on the UNIX
system.  This has been the only problem I have ever had and I have transfered
binary files between UNIX, DOS and CPM systems with Kermit.

			______________/----------\______________
		       /                                        \
		      / ==========================================
		     /   _______________________________________/
_______________________          /
(______________________()       /              Daniel W. Meeks
    \          /___________    /             ([ihnp4!]ihlpf!dwm )
    /         (               /         ``MAN'S  MIND,  ONCE  STRETCHED
   ---------------           /          BY A NEW IDEA ... NEVER REGAINS
             )______________/           ITS    ORIGINAL   DIMENSIONS.''

* Unsure  the origin  of the  quote  though  it  came from  a  mug  given
  by the people at ``SYMBOLICS, Inc. the leaders in symbolic computing.''

dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen,EMS E380,5133,) (04/12/88)

From article <619@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, by ballard@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Constance M. Ballard):
# In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
#>HELP!!
#>
#>
#
# try setting parity even...worked for me......
#
# coni
Also helps to have image mode on :-)

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) (04/12/88)

>In article <914@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk>, rk@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>> In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>> >I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>> I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
>> MS-DOS via kermit.  I always uuencode the files on Unix, transfer the files

Try:
	C-Kermit
set file type binary
set parity even

	MS-DOS side
set parity even
get *

I've found C-Kermit really likes to have parity set to even and it must
be done that way on both sides.  Good Luck.
--
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (04/12/88)

In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>                         Kermit seems to manage the first 2 packets but then
>keeps retrying until it gives up. I've tried altering things like packet size
>and end of line character, but this hasn't helped.

I've never had any problem with KERMIT transfers as long as I remember to
set up the parity properly (use the sample MSKERMIT.INI file definition
of the 'DEC' macro:  timer off, parity none, flow x, hand no, local off.
Most of my problems occur when I'm trying to run over a link which forces
the parity bit to a specific value.  The usual result, however, is a stalled
file transfer, not retry packets.

I've normally used 2.29 or 2.30 in the PC, and an ancient VMS Kermit 3.1.066.

Joe Morris

paulo@mucs.UX.CS.MAN.AC.UK (Paulo L de Geus) (04/12/88)

I'm not sure if my problem was similar to the original question, but I
think some people could benefit from my experience.  Incredibly none of our
systems has a manual page for kermit.

After reading the replies on this issue I managed to transfer binary files
from a Sun server and an Atari back and forth.

I used to transfer uuencoded files using kermit under UniTerm.  When I
tried to transfer a binary file to a Sun and back to the ST (by setting
"binary" in the UniTerm's menu) not a single program worked.  Using a
diskdoctor utility revealed there was no problems concerning the 8th bit.
All bytes above 0x7F were OK, but whenever either a single 0x0D (CR) or 0x0A
(LF) were transmitted along the binary data an extra LF or CR was inserted
on the stream at that point.

I used to invoke C-Kermit on the Sun by typing "kermit -x", which prompted
it already in the server state.

The solution was to call "kermit -i" and then call the server function
(this can also be done by putting a line with "server" in the .kermrc
file).  I think "kermit -i" puts the server in a state to accept binary
transactions (sorry no docs handy to check).

It now works OK.

--
Paulo L de Geus			JANET: paulo@uk.ac.man.cs.ux
Dept of Computer Science	Internet: paulo%ux.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (04/12/88)

In article <914@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk>, rk@cs.strath.ac.uk (Richard Kingslake) writes:
> I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
> MS-DOS via kermit.

I had the same problem.  For me, the cure was to tell my Vax's Kermit
"set file type binary".  The download then worked ok.

Try it!  You'll save the time of the expanded uuencoded file.

--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.

disclaimer:
These are MY opinions.  You only WISH they were yours.

sct@a.UUCP (Stephen Tenbrink) (04/13/88)

> In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
> | HELP!!
> | I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>
> Parity, I think... I run no parity on everything, but you might try:

You should also set the 'file type' at the host end to 'binary' if it
isn't already.  Usually 'file type' is set to 'text' or 'ascii'.  To change
file type enter kermit then type: set file type binary<cr>  .

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (04/15/88)

In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
>IBM end).

Besides setting file type binary on the Unix end, which I'm sure everyone has
already told you to do, you should note this:  I've had trouble transferring
large (several hundred K or more) binary files using versions of MSKERMIT less
than 2.3 (2.26, 2.29).  Using 2.30, I have transfered as much as 1.2 Mbytes in
a single (archive -- zoo format) file with no problems.  I have also been
successful at transferring very large binary files (a zoo archive of the entire
kermit distribution tape B and tape E) using unix ckermit version 4C(058).

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...{ism780|amdahl}!drivax!braun
		Think Globally   ...  Act Locally

thomas@bnlux0.GOV (Richard A. Thomas) (04/15/88)

In article <914@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> rk@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:

>In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
>>
>>I'm trying to transfer binary files from a vax running unix to an IBM PC
>>lookalike using kermit (C-KERMIT 4.2(030) at the unix end, MSKERMIT 2.29 at the
>>IBM end).
>>

>I have never managed to transfer binary files successfully from Unix to
>MS-DOS via kermit.  I always uuencode the files on Unix, transfer the files
>as ascii, then uudecode on MS-DOS.  This always works.  Of course, it
>assumes that you have uudecode available on MS-DOS.  I do have such and
>will post it if requested.  I got it from the net myself some months ago.
>
>	Richard Kingslake

I have successfully transferred binary files between Unix and MS-DOS by
ensuring that the parity was properly set.  Since I am not certain that
some connection between my PC and the Unix machine or device won't remove the
8th bit, I always set parity even to guarantee ``8th bit quoting'' in
the Kermit transfer.  It is not enough (at least on our Ultrix system)
to have set parity even on Unix through just ``stty'' or the .login file.
The  .kermrc  file in your home directory should also set parity
even for C-Kermit on Unix.  And of course you also set parity even in
MS-DOS Kermit.

  I haven't tried all possible variations of parity settings and methods of
setting them, so perhaps I'm being overly cautious in forcing the transfer
to use ``8th bit quoting'' in binary file transfers.  But it works.
Our version of C-Kermit is 4C(057) 31 Jul 85 and I have transferred binary
files with MS-DOS Kermit versions 2.27 and 2.30.

                                             Richard Thomas
                                             Brookhaven National Laboratory

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (04/22/88)

We are currently running PC kermit 2.29, could one of you kind soles please
send me the lattest version.  It seems ours has problems with data errors
(possibly triggered by X-ON/OFF) and occasionally loses entire blocks of data.

We also are using unix kermit 4d (060), if there is a newer version, could you
send that as well?

--
Wayne Johnson                 (voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.           (internet) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or

finegan@ucqais.uc.edu (Mike Finegan) (04/25/88)

> In article <715@btnix.UUCP> crouch@btnix.UUCP (Chris Rouch) writes:
> >If anyone has successfully transferred binary files from unix to msdos using
> >kermit, could they please mail me with the settings they used.
Also: use "set file type binary" on the unix machine, and then "server" -
then use "get" or "send" on the pc side.

jcbst3@cisunx.UUCP (James C. Benz) (03/10/89)

I've got a version of Kermit for the UNIXPC that absolutely doesn't work in
any useful way for anything.  Specifically, it won't let me set the line to
ph0 or /dev/ph0 or anything like that, so that I can use it to call out thru
the modem.  I've asked about this before on this group, and the only answer
I got was "Do you have the latest version?"  I don't know, but apparently
not.  Can anyone point me to an ftp site that might have this?  Oh, by the
way, am running Sys 5, v3.51 on a plain vanilla UNIXPC with one phone line.
Thanks much for any help forthcoming.
--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     If a modem
University of Pittsburgh					 answers,

paulg@mars.SanDiego.NCR.COM (paul gladden) (02/20/90)

In both the port and source code from Columbia
an error occurs in a take file when it
encounters the following command:

set file type text

Kermit(4E) will output the following error:

? 7 and 8 are .....
... take file terminated

The error is output from cmkey (ckucmd.c) and appears
to receive a bad output from getwd().

Anyone seen this error?

And better yet, anyone have a fix????

Thanks in advance.
Paul Gladden                     NCR CORPORATION E&M San Diego
paulg@mars.sandiego.ncr.com      16650 West Bernardo Drive
ucsd!ncr-sd!mars!paulg           San Diego, Ca. 92128
(619) 485-2716

xxkim@convx1.lerc.nasa.gov (Kim Johnson) (10/09/90)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my kermit question.  It was all a big
help and everything seems to be going smoothly.

Thanks,
Kim Johnson

no .sig