[comp.unix.questions] Problems with Wyse terminals locking

turner@fnda07.fnal.gov (TURNER, CLAUDE) (10/04/90)

At my school we are runing a Santa Cruse Xenix system, on an IBM
PS2/70 and we are having trouble when we use our Wyse terminals.
About 60-80% of the time when we use the ls command the terminal will
lock, and we will have to turn it off, and on, and try again.  We are
using the WY60 emulation on the terminals, and in the termcap.  If you
need more information, let me know and I will post it/e-mail it.

	- claude (aspiring gru)

p.s. I am not posting from my school, as we do not have a usenet, I
am posting from work.

turner@fnda07.fnal.gov (TURNER, CLAUDE) (10/06/90)

In article <64719@lanl.gov>, turner@fnda07.fnal.gov (TURNER, CLAUDE) writes...
<>
<>At my school we are runing a Santa Cruse Xenix system, on an IBM
<>PS2/70 and we are having trouble when we use our Wyse terminals.
<>About 60-80% of the time when we use the ls command the terminal will
<>lock, and we will have to turn it off, and on, and try again.  We are
<>using the WY60 emulation on the terminals, and in the termcap.  If you
<>need more information, let me know and I will post it/e-mail it.
<>
<>
<>	- claude (aspiring gru)
<>
<>p.s. I am not posting from my school, as we do not have a usenet, I
<>am posting from work.
<>
<>

I forgot to mention, that we are running at 9600 baud, and the cables
are all less than 5 feet (it's a small school).  The problem happens
in several directories (most/all?), and it doesn't happen _all_ the
time, so I don't _think_ it is embeded control characters in the
filename, although I will check.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

	- claude

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/08/90)

In article <65010@lanl.gov> turner@fnda07.fnal.gov writes:
>In article <64719@lanl.gov>, turner@fnda07.fnal.gov (TURNER, CLAUDE) writes...
><>
><>At my school we are runing a Santa Cruse Xenix system, on an IBM
><>PS2/70 and we are having trouble when we use our Wyse terminals.
><>About 60-80% of the time when we use the ls command the terminal will
><>lock, and we will have to turn it off, and on, and try again.  We are
><>using the WY60 emulation on the terminals, and in the termcap.  If you
><>need more information, let me know and I will post it/e-mail it.

Sounds like you have directory with a corrupted file name.  Check that when
this happens if the lock appears on the status line of the terminal.

If so just press setup and the lock should go away.

In the ls of the directory that locks the system, when you unlock the
terminal do an lc -lab and see what file has imbedded control characters.

This sounds like it MIGHT be your problem.

Normally the only things that happen with Wyse terminals is that they have
phyical problems, not emulation/software problems.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

tb@pemstgt.gtc.de (Tillmann Basien) (10/12/90)

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>In article <65010@lanl.gov> turner@fnda07.fnal.gov writes:
>>In article <64719@lanl.gov>, turner@fnda07.fnal.gov (TURNER, CLAUDE) writes...
>><>
>><>At my school we are runing a Santa Cruse Xenix system, on an IBM
>><>PS2/70 and we are having trouble when we use our Wyse terminals.
>><>About 60-80% of the time when we use the ls command the terminal will
>><>lock, and we will have to turn it off, and on, and try again.  We are
>><>using the WY60 emulation on the terminals, and in the termcap.  If you
>><>need more information, let me know and I will post it/e-mail it.

All the righten suff are good tips, Here is my interpretation: Ist it
possible that you have no handshake. I use wy60 Terminals an mscreen. My
speed is 19,2 K. And if I am running vi on one pseudo terminal on the other
terminals the handshake failes and the with ls the terminals will look.
--
Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien                Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer
Vaihinger Str.49, PostBox 810165		      +49-711-713047	FAX