[comp.unix.questions] Why does it take so long to mount & dismount...

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (10/10/90)

...large volumes? I have a 486 PC, running Interactive Unix 2.2, I have
an Adaptec 1542 SCSI host adapter, a 170 Meg Quantum HD with my root and
/usr file systems, and I just added an old Priam 320 Meg HD I received.
I left 20 Meg for DOS, and made the rest into two 150-meg partitions.
My startup and shutdown time has increased by about two minutes
(subjectively; I hadn't timed it before), and it's because it takes
about a minute for each of my new partitions.  So, why is this? And, is
there anything I can do about it?  Thanks in advance.

--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

In article <22524@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>...large volumes? I have a 486 PC, running Interactive Unix 2.2, I have
>an Adaptec 1542 SCSI host adapter, a 170 Meg Quantum HD with my root and
>/usr file systems, and I just added an old Priam 320 Meg HD I received.
>I left 20 Meg for DOS, and made the rest into two 150-meg partitions.

This is due to the Interactive's Fast File System (FFS).  The FFS reads in
the entire free list at mount time (and writes it out at unmount time).  So
your mounts/unmounts take more time when you don't have much data on a file
system (it's free list is longer).

BTW - This is discussed in the release notes pages 47 & 48 (the section on
the FFS).
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct11.123645.18099@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
|In article <22524@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
|>
|>...large volumes? I have a 486 PC, running Interactive Unix 2.2, I have
|>an Adaptec 1542 SCSI host adapter, a 170 Meg Quantum HD with my root and
|>/usr file systems, and I just added an old Priam 320 Meg HD I received.
|>I left 20 Meg for DOS, and made the rest into two 150-meg partitions.
|
|This is due to the Interactive's Fast File System (FFS).  The FFS reads in
|the entire free list at mount time (and writes it out at unmount time).  So
|your mounts/unmounts take more time when you don't have much data on a file
|system (it's free list is longer).

In other words, the problem will go away very quickly... :-)
--
Cure the common code...                      | John Macdonald
...Ban Basic      - Christine Linge          |   jmm@eci386