[comp.unix.questions] how do i get sources of unix stuff.?

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (10/11/90)

i want sources for some unix stuff. where can i get some?
in particular, i want the source of vi and login.
i also want the source for metafont,tex.
also, i want gcc, gas.
gwoho liu.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.193754.6781@nntp-server.caltech.edu> gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>i want sources for some unix stuff. where can i get some?

UNIX source code is available only under explicit license.
Call AT&T software licensing in Greensboro, NC: (800)828-8649.

root@lsicom2.UU.NET (Admin) (10/11/90)

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:

>i want sources for some unix stuff. where can i get some?
>in particular, i want the source of vi and login.
>i also want the source for metafont,tex.
>also, i want gcc, gas.
>gwoho liu.

The source code is owned by and available from AT&T

 	SVR3.2 will cost you $70,000
	SVR4.0 will cost you $100,000

Get your checkbook ready.

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (10/12/90)

In article <1101@lsicom2.UU.NET> root@lsicom2.UU.NET (Admin) writes:
>gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>
>>i want sources for some unix stuff. where can i get some?
>>in particular, i want the source of vi and login.
>>i also want the source for metafont,tex.
>>also, i want gcc, gas.
>
>The source code is owned by and available from AT&T

While this is true, that's not what he's asking.

Sure, the "real" vi and login are owned by AT&T, but most of
the other stuff (tex,gcc,gas) is freely-available via anonymous
ftp (for caltech, the closest archive is probably gatekeeper.dec.com).

A quick check shows 4 vi clones, the BSD version of login, lots
of text stuff, gcc, and gas all available.  I couldn't find metafont.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/12/90)

In article <1101@lsicom2.UU.NET> root@lsicom2.UU.NET (Admin) writes:
> 	SVR3.2 will cost you $70,000
>	SVR4.0 will cost you $100,000

Not accurate.  If the requestor is affiliated with CalTech, as the address
indicated, then special educational rates are available.  Also, source
sublicensing arrangements can be made.  For example, if we had any
justification for doing so, BRL could sublicense source to him for $2K.