[comp.unix.questions] Comm program with scripting languag

egray@fthood.UUCP (10/10/90)

> I need a comm program with a robust scripting language that will be distruted
> to several hundred sites.  I have 'TERM' by Century Software but it costs $500
> per site.  I have 'expect' but it will not do what we need.  I need something
> under $200/site.  I understand ProComm is on UNIX.  How much is it?  Anyone
> have their number?  Any other comm programs out there with scripting
> languages?
>
> Oh yeah, I also have XCOMM but the scripting language is too limited.

I'd be willing to bet that the ProComm you've heard about is actually a
program called Pcomm.  Yes, Pcomm is designed to operate similarily to
ProComm, but is NOT a DataStorm product.  Pcomm is good-ole public
domain.

Pcomm doesn't have a separate scripting language, it uses the Unix shell
instead.  Also, in it's current configuration, Pcomm only uses the
script feature to log on a remote system (the script can't be used to do
unattended downloads for example).  A limitation that is on my list of
things to fix on the next release.

If anyone is interested, Pcomm v1.2.4 appeared in comp.sources.unix as
v20i067 thru v20i075 around the 27th of October 1989.  Since then,
patches 5-9 were posted to comp.sources.bugs.  Both the current version
of Pcomm and all the patches are available via anonymous ftp from
cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
fthood!egray@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu		Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (10/13/90)

In article <7300007@fthood> egray@fthood.UUCP writes:

>> I need a comm program with a robust scripting language that will be distruted
>> to several hundred sites.  I have 'TERM' by Century Software but it costs $500
>> per site.  I have 'expect' but it will not do what we need.  I need something
>> under $200/site.

Professional-YAM for Unix sells for $139 per full copy, and site license
add-ons are available for $80, less in quantity.  Source license is also
available for $400.

Pro-YAM has many protocols including ZMODEM-90(Tm), and a powerful shell
like script language that is ideal for unattended remote file maintenance
and information utility accesses.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF