[comp.unix.questions] Printer Accounting

In article <2985@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>Second of all, the disk space usage he was referring to was for *files*,
>not for *swap space*.  Most UNIX systems don't "crash" if they run out
>of disk space for files, either....

Depends... Some real interesting things can happen to shell scripts
(or anything else using pipes without being careful about the status)
when pipedev is full.  If root is running the script it could cause
serious damage.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

bo@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bo Slaughter) (10/15/90)

I'm looking for some printer accounting software that can be used on our
sun network.  Basically, I want to be able to give each user a "quota"
of paper that they can print on, say 300 sheets.  After they use up
their quota, they aren't able to print until we give them more.

Does any one know of off-the-shelf software for this?

- Bo

|  Bo Slaughter                bo@gumby.eng.clemson.edu        |
|    (803)656-2721         "I'm gumby.eng.clemson.edu dammit." |