[comp.unix.questions] help with yacc?

kt10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kimberly Ann Thomas) (09/04/90)

Is there anyone out there with a good
working knowledge of Yacc who might be
able to help me with some problems I'm
having or who could direct me to some-
one who could.  Manuals (other than HP
or Unix manual entries) would also be
appreciated if you could give me an idea
of where to look.

Thanks!

Kimberly

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin E. Sylvain) (10/03/90)

In article <4asvOpu00WB4M=NUoX@andrew.cmu.edu> kt10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kimberly Ann Thomas) writes:

>Is there anyone out there with a good
>working knowledge of Yacc who might be
>able to help me with some problems I'm
>having or who could direct me to some-
>one who could.  Manuals (other than HP
>or Unix manual entries) would also be
>appreciated if you could give me an idea
>of where to look.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kimberly

Library of Computer and Information
Sciences (LCIS) bookclub has a couple
of recent entries that may be of
interest to you:

Compiler Design in C
Allen I. Holub
Prentice Hall (published May 1990)
924 pages

"... Holub develops fully functional
versions of _lex_ and _yacc_, tools
available in the UNIX operating
system for writing compilers. ..."

Using C with Curses, Lex and Yacc
Axel T. Schreiner
Prentice Hall (published July 1990)
241 pages

"... building a line-oriented desk
calculator, with _awk_, _lex_, and
_yacc_, that serves as the command
languages of _wish_ and _cdc_..."

Sorry I can't give you any
recommendations other than telling
you they exist.  I've read neither.
Hope this helps.
--
-=--=--=--"BANDWIDTH??  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BANDWIDTH!!"--=--=--=-
"If you come in at 10am and leave at 7pm one day, then come in at 6am

leach@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gregory E Leach) (10/09/90)

I will heartily recommend the following books.  I used both of them
to learn yacc well enough to write a large command interpreter for
a scientific language.

The Unix Programming Environment, Pike and someone
Compiler Construction using Unix, don't remember

The titles are correct ( I think ), and you should be able to order them
from your local bookstore ( or form the UNIops bookstore ).  Another
good place to pick up unix/C books is the C users group/C users journal.

Greg Leach

rembo@unisoft.UUCP (Tony Rems) (10/13/90)

In article <84543@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Gregory E Leach <leach@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I will heartily recommend the following books.  I used both of them
>to learn yacc well enough to write a large command interpreter for
>a scientific language.
>

>The Unix Programming Environment, Pike and someone
>Compiler Construction using Unix, don't remember
>
>The titles are correct ( I think ), and you should be able to order them
>from your local bookstore ( or form the UNIops bookstore ).  Another
>good place to pick up unix/C books is the C users group/C users journal.
>
>Greg Leach

I'd also like to recommend a new book out in the Nutshell series:

	lex & yacc  -  Mason/Brown
			A Nutshell Handbook
			O'Reilly & Associates

I found it a little easier to follow and much more concise than
Compiler Design & Construction

and much more in-depth with more interesting examples than
The UNIX Programming Environment (which is apparently up
for revision, being a bit out of date).

-Tony

nwosuck@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Kingsley Nwosu) (10/15/90)

In article <3165@unisoft.UUCP>, rembo@unisoft.UUCP (Tony Rems) writes:
> In article <84543@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Gregory E Leach <leach@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> >I will heartily recommend the following books.  I used both of them
> >
> >The Unix Programming Environment, Pike and someone
> >Compiler Construction using Unix, don't remember
> >
> >Greg Leach
>
> I'd also like to recommend a new book out in the Nutshell series:
>
> 	lex & yacc  -  Mason/Brown
> 			A Nutshell Handbook
> 			O'Reilly & Associates
>

> -Tony

I'd also recommend the paper:

	TITLE: Yacc: Yet Another Compiler-Compiler
	AUTHOR: Stephen C. Johnson

Let me know if you want a copy.

Kingsley Nwosu		        ...uunet!ibmps2!aix!nwosuck
IBM AIX  Dev., Dept. 83HA/572, |"Civilization is a progress from an indefinite,
Neighborhood Rd, Kingston,     |incoherent homogeneity towards a definite,
NY 12401.	               | coherent heterogeneity"

dvv@hq.demos.su (Dmitry V. Volodin) (10/18/90)

In article <4093@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com> nwosuck@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Kingsley Nwosu) writes:

>I'd also recommend the paper:
>
>	TITLE: Yacc: Yet Another Compiler-Compiler
>	AUTHOR: Stephen C. Johnson
>
>Let me know if you want a copy.

Does anybody knows what C. in S.C.Johnson stands for?

--
Dmitry V. Volodin <dvv@hq.demos.su>     |
fax:    +7 095 233 5016                 |      Call me Dima (D-'ee-...)