[comp.unix.questions] ksh

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (03/06/87)

The Korn Shell's built-in typeset command has a flag that is somewhat
mysterious to me.

 -F   This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX systems.

OK, what is "UNIX to host-name file mapping"?  Do I need to provide it
on my UNIX system?

Dave Decot
hpda!decot

sivagnan@handel.ColoState.EDU (S. Vasanthan) (12/28/88)

Is ksh (Korn Shell?) Public Domain?
If so where can I get a copy.

  Thanks
  Vasanthan
  sivagnan@handel.cs.colostate.edu

jmc@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Jerry Carlin) (12/29/88)

In article <894@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> sivagnan@handel.ColoState.EDU (S. Vasanthan) writes:
>Is ksh (Korn Shell?) Public Domain?

No.

>If so where can I get a copy.

AT&T Toolchest, (201) 522-6900, login guest

--
Jerry Carlin (415) 823-2441 {bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!jmc
To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/29/88)

In article <894@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> sivagnan@handel.ColoState.EDU (S. Vasanthan) writes:
>Is ksh (Korn Shell?) Public Domain?

No.

>If so where can I get a copy.

Both Aspen Technologies and Mortice Kern Systems sell Korn Shell for
Microport and Xenix.  Aspen also supports 3Bs, Suns, and NCR Towers.
I've used both, and despite the high-quality of MKS's Toolkit, I find
their *nix implementation of ksh to be lacking.  I'd recommend Aspen
Technologies.

	Aspen Technologies, Inc.
	POB 5727
	Parsippany, NJ  07054
	(201) 316-0866

I have no association with Aspen Tech, other than as a happy
customer.

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

rye@sfmin.UUCP (R.Schwark) (12/30/88)

> In article <894@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> sivagnan@handel.ColoState.EDU (S. Vasanthan) writes:
> >Is ksh (Korn Shell?) Public Domain?
>
> No.
>
> >If so where can I get a copy.
>
> Both Aspen Technologies and Mortice Kern Systems sell Korn Shell for
> Microport and Xenix.  Aspen also supports 3Bs, Suns, and NCR Towers.
> I've used both, and despite the high-quality of MKS's Toolkit, I find
> their *nix implementation of ksh to be lacking.  I'd recommend Aspen
> Technologies.
>
> 	Aspen Technologies, Inc.
> 	POB 5727
> 	Parsippany, NJ  07054
> 	(201) 316-0866

	Aspen sells binary versions of the Bell Labs version of the
Korn Shell, which is available in source from the Toolchest, for
which somebody already gave the number.  I understand that MKS's version
is a reimplementation, so they aren't from the same "source".

Ry Schwark
rye@attunix.att.com

JAMES1@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu (James E. Jones) (03/08/89)

I have heard various people talk about a new Unix shell called the
Korn shell.  I'd like to find out how to get it for our computers
(Sun Microsystems), and how much it costs.  I'd also like to know
the advantages that ksh has over csh and the Bourne shell.
Please send the info directly to me and I'll repost the answers to the net.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely Yours,

James E. Jones, Jr.
College of Engineering
Northeastern University
Boston, Massachusetts 02115

internet: james@vaxe.coe.northeastern.edu
BITnet:   james@nuhub
phone:    (617)437-4430

Pabbisetty.henr@xerox.com (Nagesh Pabbisetty) (03/09/89)

There is a good paper comparing the Cshell, Bourne shell and Korn shell in:

Title		: UNIX Papers for UNIX Developers and Power Users.
Edited by	: Mitchell Waite.
Publishers	: Howard W. Sams & Company.

This might be a good starting point...

Nagesh
716-427-1827 / 5458

guy@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (guy.r.berentsen) (08/16/89)

I am running Unix System V/386 Relesae 3.2
on an AT&T 6386 WGS.

Setting VISUAL=vi on a serial terminal disables KSH
(every keystroke is turned into a <cr>)
I tried this with 2 terminal types (vt100 & 610), so I assume it is not
a termcap problem.

VISUAL=emacs works fine on a serial terminal, and either vi or emacs
mode ksh editing works fine from the console.

Any Ideas?

stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) (03/29/90)

By mistake I typed a pipeline with a missing command similar to the following:

	ls | > tmp

Obviously, I am missing a command after the pipe (eg. sort).  Looking at the
grammar on page 310-311 in "The Korn Shell" by Bolsky and Korn, I believe that
a "command" cannot reduce into nothing.  This would indicate to me that I
should receive some kind of syntax error.  Instead, tmp is created and has
zero length.

I am running /bin/ksh, Version 11/16/88b.  Is this an error or am I reading
the grammar wrong?

--
 jss - Jon S. Stumpf

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/29/90)

In article <710@gtenmc.UUCP> stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) writes:
>	ls | > tmp
>Looking at the grammar on page 310-311 in "The Korn Shell" by Bolsky
>and Korn, I believe that a "command" cannot reduce into nothing.

However, the Korn shell attempts to be upward compatible with the Bourne
shell, which doesn't really have a rigorous grammar (although it comes
much closer than the Cshell).  In the Bourne shell, >tmp is the easiest
way to create a 0-length file.

stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) (03/30/90)

In article <710@gtenmc.UUCP>, stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) writes:

> By mistake I typed a pipeline with a missing command similar to the following:
>
> 	ls | > tmp
>
> I am running /bin/ksh, Version 11/16/88b.  Is this an error or am I reading
> the grammar wrong?

"> tmp" or io redirection is a simple-command as specified in the grammar.
This was *my* error :-/.  I thank the net for giving me straight answers
and no flames for my lack of thoroughness.

--
 jss - Jon S. Stumpf

csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) (10/18/90)

  While working during the summer I used ksh a lot and really liked it.
Someone told me that it was PD so I wondered if this is true and if anyone
knows where to get hold of it, or if there is something similar about?
  I'm also not sure if it will run on our Uni System V - the machine at
work was a Unix V.4.
  Any  help is appreciated,

        Jas.

Answers on the back of a postcard to:

                csual@uk.ac.warwick.cu

hakimian%luke.eecs.WSU.EDU@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (10/19/90)

Is there a P.D. ksh available? If so where? I would like to be able to run
the same shell on all of the machines that I use, but we do not have
ksh for bsd.

Please reply by email since I do not alway get this newsgroup.

Thanks.

Karl Hakimian
hakimian@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu