[comp.unix.questions] X server display

Digital_FX_Inc@cup.portal.com (10/19/90)

Hello,

   We are running Intel's SVR4 on a 386. When we try to use any of the
commands in /usr/bin/X11, we get the message,

       X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display

We get a similar error message when we attempt to run any of the OpenLook
or Motif programs included. We did try setting the DISPLAY variable
without any noticable result. How do we get the server to recognize a
display?

ag@cbmvax.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (10/19/90)

In article <35004@cup.portal.com> Digital_FX_Inc@cup.portal.com writes:
>   We are running Intel's SVR4 on a 386. When we try to use any of the
>commands in /usr/bin/X11, we get the message,
>
>       X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display
>
>We get a similar error message when we attempt to run any of the OpenLook
>or Motif programs included. We did try setting the DISPLAY variable
>without any noticable result. How do we get the server to recognize a
>display?

If you expect to run clients from foreign machines, you should make sure
this line appears in /etc/services:

	xserver0	6000/tcp

otherwise the X server will silently ignore all network client
attaches.

To run OpenLook on System V Release 4.0 you should run ``oladduser'';
by:

	# cd /usr/X/adm			# (or maybe it is /usr/lib/X/adm)
	# ./oladduser USERNAME

``oladduser'' sets up all the necessary OpenLook init files and
patches your .profile to start them up.  The last release of oladduser
from AT&T did not come with the necessary intelligence to deal with
csh, so you should have USERNAME's login shell be `sh' or `ksh'.  Now
login as USERNAME and type:

	$ olinit

This should start up OpenLook.

If you are still having problems, try this:

login as guest and type:

	$ X

login as guest again on the same machine (either by using the multiple
console thingies or telnet in from another host or whatnot) and:

	[ Make sure you are in bourne shell ]

	$ DISPLAY=unix:0 ; export DISPLAY
	$ cd /usr/bin/X11
	$ ./xterm