[comp.unix.questions] A question on RCS and GNU-make

amoffat@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Andrew Moffat) (10/23/90)

I posted this question last week to gnu.misc.discuss, but have no response
as yet... any ideas here?

> The RCS doco states: "MAKE has been extended with an auto-checkout
> feature for RCS".  Is this referring to GNU-make, or some other
> version of make?

I should add, I'm posting this for a friend, and he assures me that the
make he has (which is standard SUN release) don't do the job...

Andrew.
Andrew Moffat          E-mail: amoffat@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au
Computing Centre       Phone: (02) 805-7420
Macquarie Uni 2109, Australia

keith@earth-sciences.oxford.ac.uk (Keith Refson) (10/24/90)

amoffat@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Andrew Moffat) asks:
> The RCS doco states: "MAKE has been extended with an auto-checkout
> feature for RCS".  Is this referring to GNU-make, or some other
> version of make?

In the absence of a modified make, the targets

%.c:		RCS/%.c,v
		co $@

%.h:		RCS/%.h,v
		co $@

will do the trick using Sun's make.
|	Keith   Refson			  |ROYAL MAIL:                     |
|-----------------------------------------|   Department of Earth Sciences |
| JANET   : keith@uk.ac.ox.earth          |   Parks Road                   |
| INTERNET: keith@earth.ox.ac.uk          |   Oxford OX1 3PR               |
| BITNET  : keith%uk.ac.ox.earth@ukacrl   |   UK                           |
| UUCP    : K.Refson@ed.uucp              |PHONE   : +44 865 272026/272016 |
|         : keith%uk.ac.ox.earth@ukc.uucp |FAX     : +44 865 272072        |

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/25/90)

In <652@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> amoffat@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Andrew Moffat) writes:
> The RCS doco states: "MAKE has been extended with an auto-checkout
> feature for RCS".  Is this referring to GNU-make, or some other
> version of make?
The RCS docs are refering to a Purdue-modified version of make.  Similar work
was done at CMU.

I believe GNU make has something similar, and with pattern rules you can get
something pretty close with most modern make's -- SystemV augmented make, SunPRO
make, nmake, mk, etc., etc...
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.