[comp.unix.questions] UNIX BLIT terminal emulator wanted for the Mac Plus

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct27.124647.19095@nlm.nih.gov> sandro@lhc.nlm.nih.gov (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>I am interested in obtaining a terminal emulator for my Mac Plus that will
>turn it into a BLIT terminal when I am connected remotely to my VAX or Sun
>running Berkeley Unix.

You might try posting your enquiry to comp.terminals.tty5620; the 5620
was the first commercial member of the Blit family (there have since
been others; the 630 on which I'm typing this is one of them).

I know that there was an IBM PC Blit emulator at Bell Labs, but I don't
know whether or not it was ever offered to the public.  Note that you
also need some host support software to operate that end of the layer
multiplexing procedures.  You may be able to obtain the portion you
need free through AT&T (formerly Teletype Corp.) in Skokie, IL; Dan
Wolski is probably the person there that you should contact.

If you manage to locate a Mac Blit emulation, please post some info
about it to comp.terminals.tty5620.  Thanks.

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (10/30/90)

If you want to have more than one session on a Unix machine from a
Mac, try "uw".  It stands for "Unix Windows", I am using it right now,
it is great.

It requires server code running on the Sun and the uw application on
the Mac.  I use uw to login to the Sun, type "uw" to start up the
program on the Sun end, and I can have as many as 7 windows, each a
seperate session.

They all multiplex over the same serial line--be it a quick direct
connect here at work or a slow modem from home.

You can get uw from the usual ftp servers (so I am told, I don't have
ftp access), or from the list server at Rice (send the message "help"
to "listserv@icsa.rice.edu").

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577