[comp.unix.questions] Micnet on non-Xenix?

ash@relay.eu.net (Andrew Hardie) (10/31/90)

Does anyone know if it is possible to get non-Xenix machines to
become part of a Xenix Micnet network and if so, how?
Any and all suggestions gratefully received, except those asking
why I would be daft enough to want to do this.
Thanks
--
Andrew Hardie
London, England

rogerk@ucscc.ucsc.edu (11/01/90)

>Subject:   Micnet on non-Xenix?
>
>Does anyone know if it is possible to get non-Xenix machines to
>become part of a Xenix Micnet network and if so, how?
>Any and all suggestions gratefully received, except those asking
>why I would be daft enough to want to do this.

OK, I'll be the first...why *would* you be daft enough to want
to do this????

Since the protocols are not documented, it would be somewhat
difficult to do this on a host which won't run Xenix binaries.
If your other hosts will run Xenix binaries, you only have the
licensing issue of running parts of the SCO OS on a non-SCO
OS, since there are no driver pieces and I think no Xenix
specific system calls involved.

My dim memories recall that Micnet is an adaptation of the
Berkeley berknet. Perhaps starting with berknet source, should
you even be able to turn that hoary ghost up, might be a good
way to start.

Perhaps in the spirit of Open Systems, I can manage to scare
up some documentation on the protocol. Other elements of
its operation can easily be deduced by watching it run (you
know, "the solution is left to the student to work out").

Roger Knopf                                "Alas, poor Schoenberg; whose
SCO Consulting Services                    aesthetic is perhaps too fine to be
uunet!sco!rogerk  or  rogerk@sco.com       caught in the gross colander of mass
408-425-7222 (voice) 408-458-4227 (fax)    appreciation." --Karl P. Henning