[comp.unix.questions] How do I change file names introduced to SCCS

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (10/30/90)

I introduced a file some time ago into SCCS called xyz.c,
now I want to change it's name to abc.c - how is it done?
I would like to keep the file history - so SCCS will give
me the right file depending on which version I retrieve.

Thank you in advance

Leif Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 22 79                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

dberg@informix.com (David I. Berg) (10/31/90)

> I introduced a file some time ago into SCCS called xyz.c,
> now I want to change it's name to abc.c - how is it done?
> I would like to keep the file history - so SCCS will give
> me the right file depending on which version I retrieve.

You should just mv s.xyz.c s.abc.c. If you used SCCS keywords in your
file to internally identify the program, when you do the next get -e
or get -k you will see the new program name.

rob@b15.INGR.COM (Rob Lemley) (11/01/90)

In <1990Oct30.125900.14693@resam.dk> andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:

>I introduced a file some time ago into SCCS called xyz.c,
>now I want to change it's name to abc.c - how is it done?
>I would like to keep the file history - so SCCS will give
>me the right file depending on which version I retrieve.

Try:
	mv s.xyz.c s.abc.c

You will always get the right file (ie: the text for any version and
the file history will be correct) but from now on, the name will be
"abc.c" regardless of which version you request.

To my knowledge, the name of the retrieved file is always the same as
the s-file with the leading "s." removed.  I don't believe there is
any way within SCCS to cause different versions to be gotten into
different file names.  If this is what you want, a "front end" program
to SCCS may be your only alternative.

Another alternative would be to create (admin) a new file: s.abc.c
with the first version (delta) the same as the last delta of the
s.xyz.c file.  If you MUST change the file name for future releases
but maintain the old file name for old releases, I tend to lean
toward this solution.

Rob
--
Rob Lemley
System Consultant, Scanning Software, Intergraph, Huntsville, AL

wells@sleepy.UUCP (Douglas Wells) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct30.125900.14693@resam.dk>, andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
> I introduced a file some time ago into SCCS called xyz.c,
> now I want to change it's name to abc.c - how is it done?
> I would like to keep the file history - so SCCS will give
> me the right file depending on which version I retrieve.

    Somewhere there is a file named "s.xyz.c" (typically in a directory called SCCS).
    All you have to do is rename that file "s.abc.c" and you're done.

--
*	    Douglas Wells	[  "I think, therefore I think I am"  ]		 *
*  Bellmail: 206-865-4660							 *

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct30.125900.14693@resam.dk> andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
- I introduced a file some time ago into SCCS called xyz.c,
- now I want to change it's name to abc.c - how is it done?
- I would like to keep the file history - so SCCS will give
- me the right file depending on which version I retrieve.

cp s.xyz.c s.abc.c