[comp.unix.questions] make command

herman%nrl.decnet@ccf1.nrl.navy.mil (NRL::HERMAN) (10/21/90)

	I am looking for a book which describes the make command
in all its various and insidious intricacy.  Any recommendations would
be appreciated.

					Charles Herman
					herman%nrl.decnet@nrl.navy.mil

root@angel.UUCP (Super user) (10/22/90)

From article <24815@adm.BRL.MIL>, by herman%nrl.decnet@ccf1.nrl.navy.mil (NRL::HERMAN):

> 	I am looking for a book which describes the make command
> in all its various and insidious intricacy.  Any recommendations would
> be appreciated.
>

> 					Charles Herman
> 					herman%nrl.decnet@nrl.navy.mil

There is a book called:  Managing Projects with make

This book is a Nutshell Handbook from O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

Hope this helps.

lois@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Lois Gerber) (10/23/90)

Try the following Nutshell Book:

Managing Projects with make
   by Steve Talbott
   published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
   email address:  uunet!ora!nuts
   phone 1-800-338-NUTS
   ISBN # 0-937175-18-8
   Price $9.00 (or thereabouts - cheap)

This is the best documentation I have found that is readable.
There are also some articles which get a bit more complicated
but may contain some good information:

Make - A Program for Maintaining Computer Programs
   by S. I. Feldman
   Bell Labs
   Murray Hill, NJ
   dated August 15, 1978

An Augmented Version of Make
   by E.G. Bradford
   Bell Labs
   Whippany, NJ  07981

I don't know how you can locate these - I have copies of copies,
but they have been around for some time, so some sleuthing should
turn them up somewhere.  Good luck.

Lois Gerber
Hewlett Packard
Fort Collins, CO

nwosuck@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Kingsley Nwosu) (10/31/90)

In article <24815@adm.BRL.MIL>, herman%nrl.decnet@ccf1.nrl.navy.mil (NRL::HERMAN) writes:

> 	I am looking for a book which describes the make command
> in all its various and insidious intricacy.  Any recommendations would
> be appreciated.
>

> 					Charles Herman
> 					herman%nrl.decnet@nrl.navy.mil

Not too detailed but you may learn something from:

	Title: Managing Projects with Make
  	by:    Steve Talbott
	publisher: O'Reilly & Associates,
		   (800)-338-NUTS,
		   e-mail: ....uunet!ora!nuts

Kingsley Nwosu		        ...uunet!ibmps2!aix!nwosuck
IBM AIX  Dev., Dept. 83HA/572, |"Civilization is a progress from an indefinite,
Neighborhood Rd, Kingston,     |incoherent homogeneity towards a definite,
NY 12401.	               | coherent heterogeneity"

rhl@astro.Princeton.EDU (Robert Lupton (the Good)) (11/01/90)

Well, after there have been a number of references to the O'Reilly book
let me say that I don't like it.  It's fine as an introduction, and that
_was_ what the original poster asked for, but it isn't much good for
much more --- it is nowhere clear on what is standard, what can be
relied on, what is a Sun O/S or Sys V extension. And I seem to remember
that its treatment of libraries and RCS/SCCS was too skimpy to be
useful.

				Robert

(P.S. I don't like their lint book either for similar reasons, if that
helps you decide whether to listen to me on make)