[comp.unix.questions] new mail notification

thssdwv@iitmax.IIT.EDU (David William Vrona) (11/05/90)

I would like to be able to get notification of NEW mail, i.e. not read yet,
whenever I login to my unix machine.  I am running 386ix v2.02.  Are the tools
already in place to do this or do I need something else?  Thanks.

In article <4464@iitmax.IIT.EDU> thssdwv@iitmax.iit.edu (David William Vrona) writes:
>I would like to be able to get notification of NEW mail, i.e. not read yet,
>whenever I login to my unix machine.  I am running 386ix v2.02.  Are the tools
>already in place to do this or do I need something else?  Thanks.

RTFM (specifically the sh(1) man page, discussion about MAIL, MAILCHECK and
MAILPATH environment variables).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (11/05/90)

In <4464@iitmax.IIT.EDU> David William Vrona wrote:
> I would like to be able to get notification of NEW mail, i.e. not read yet,
> whenever I login to my unix machine.  I am running 386ix v2.02.  Are the tools
> already in place to do this or do I need something else?  Thanks.

You should get this from the mail check already in place in your .profile file.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)