[comp.unix.questions] How do you edit a binary file?

wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (11/03/90)

Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious, but how can I edit a couple
bytes of a binary file.  Does a nice hexadecimal editor exist somewhere?

I do not know of any here.

Thanks for any help,

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET:   wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:     wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:      {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

in <1990Nov2.174632.16816@en.ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

	Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious, but how can I edit a couple
	bytes of a binary file.  Does a nice hexadecimal editor exist somewhere?

The following is the "header" of ``filepatch'' which was posted to alt.sources
recently; the program works fine on all systems upon which I installed it.

	From: wmark@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Mark Winsor)
	Newsgroups: alt.sources
	Subject: Binary editor
	Date: 13 Oct 90 16:06:38 GMT

	Here is a binary editor that i've found useful. It has only been
	tested in SYSV & SCO XENIX environments, but should be relatively easy
	to port. Do to the non-standard alternate character set mapping prior
	to SYSV3, the line drawing characters are replaced with, |, -, and +
	for those environments (or if your terminal doesn't support line
	drawing charaters).

	Mark S. Winsor
	Systems Analyst
	ProVAR, Inc.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCS) (11/06/90)

	My predecessor here used to use EMACS to edit binary files, but I
don't know it well enough to try it . . .     :-)

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 604-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'