[comp.unix.questions] Beginner needs help with sockets!

papp@remus.rutgers.edu (papp) (11/11/90)

I have been trying now, with little success, to write a program under
SUN OS using sockets, to communicate between two different machines.
I do not have any reference books available -- suggestions would be
appreciated!  If anyone out in net-land has a piece of fairly simple
and straightforward C code that creates the sockets and passes
information back and forth, I would greatly appreciate a look-see.

thanks!
-Al
| Albert L. Papp III     papp@remus.rutgers.edu <-- yes, good.              |
|                        papp@tsjiang.rutgers.edu <-- no, bad!              |
| Mooooo!!!!!!                ^^^^^^^ - besides, I can't even pronounce it! |
|                                                                           |
| RELAX AND GET INTO THE STRESS!!   Morbid the Cow greets all 10pm Mondays  |

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) (11/13/90)

In article <Nov.11.01.33.13.1990.20859@remus.rutgers.edu> papp@remus.rutgers.edu (papp) writes:

>I have been trying now, with little success, to write a program under
>SUN OS using sockets, to communicate between two different machines.
>I do not have any reference books available -- suggestions would be
>appreciated!  If anyone out in net-land has a piece of fairly simple
>and straightforward C code that creates the sockets and passes
>information back and forth, I would greatly appreciate a look-see.

  Go to your local bookstore and ask for a book by Richard Stevens.

	UNIX Network Programming
	W. Richard Stevens
	ISBN 0-13-949876-1

  It's the best book on network programming I've seen in a long time.

-- Tin

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM