[comp.unix.questions] AT&T platform?

ddulmage@cdp.UUCP (11/12/90)

Hello, as a complete unix noveice, I need some guidance..
I have been offered a AT&T unix workstation for $400. It has a 20 meg
drive, floppy, com ports, all software and manuals. I believe the
system is version 3.something. Would this be a useful system to start on?
Would it end up th proverbial boat anchor? Remember, I know squat about
Unix and can't afford much dough for sftware etc. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Doug Dulmage

james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) (11/14/90)

	Sounds like a AT&T 7300 to me....it's ok...I've got one, but don't
	expect all the bells and whistles in the world nor expect new and
	exciting software from AT&T for it....`tain gonna happen.  Be aware
	that if you do have a hardware problem, that not every electronics
	store is going to have what you need to fix it.  Be prepared to get
	personally involved in both software and hardware.  If this doesn't
	discourage you...you'll probably like the puppy...in general they're
	good little machines, but they are limited in some areas.

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (11/18/90)

In article <143900005@cdp>, ddulmage@cdp.UUCP writes:

> I have been offered a AT&T unix workstation for $400. It has a 20 meg

> Would this be a useful system to start on?
> Would it end up th proverbial boat anchor?

Sounds like a 3b1 or a 7300.
I have one myself and find it a GOOD STARTING platform to work on.
Make sure you have at lease 1.5 MB ram or else it is

S   L   O   W        !!!!

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.