[comp.unix.questions] An ELM-editor summary

david@rolf.stat.uga.edu (David Gundlach) (11/26/90)

Hello netters!

This is to let people know that I have received numerous answers
to the elmedit question and also a number of requests to post
followups.  Since I am at home for Thanksgiving and logging in at
1200 baud (yeucchhh!) I will not be implementing any of the solutions
at the moment.  I will, however, be taking care of that sometime
next week.

I will be posting a summary to the net as well as mailing copies
of everything I have to those who have requested.  If you would
like copies sent to you, then by all means send me a request.  If
a posting (long) will be sufficient, please try to hold out for
another week.

With any luck, my posting will actually be *posted* instead of
mailed by hand.  It looks as though the University has finally
found a newsfeed, and we're back in business!

Thanks again for all of your support.  More is forthcoming...  :-)

David Gundlach				david@rolf.stat.uga.edu
UGA Statistics				BITNET: statuga@uga
University of Georgia			404/542-3289 or 404/542-5232

You think I'm concerned about it?  You're darned right.
What I'm going to do about it?  Let's just wait and see.

	-- George Bush on the Kuwaiti crisis

david@rolf.stat.uga.edu (David Gundlach) (11/26/90)

Hello, net.helping.people!

At last I can summarize the great search for a bare-bones, stripped-
down ascii editor for ELM, the ELectronic Mail program (thanks for
the correction to lyman@Inference.COM and wuxing@comp.mscs.mu.edu!).
I got three basic answers:
	1) GNU's Emacs or Micro Emacs (or JOVE, Jonathan's Own Version
of Emacs)
	2) A simple editor that had long ago been posted to the net
	3) A simple editor written by lyman (that he isn't proud enough
of to publish :-)

GNU Emacs seems to be fairly universal and pretty accepted, but we
don't have it just yet :-)  We've been waiting on those two big disks
for a while now...

The posted editor is a simple, single-screen editor with no special
commands available, but it's *really* simple.  I'll have to check it
out thoroughly, but this probably won't get used.

I'm not a C programmer (I'd love to be, but the two books I tried
were not for Sun's flavor of UNIX :-(, and then I got busy again...),
but John Lyman tells me that the code is so easy it almost isn't
funny.  Since they use it widely at his site, his may be the editor
I go with until I can whip up Emacs.  Remember, though, that it's
not an official 'release'!

There was one other editor called SimpEd that was promised to me...
I'll try it out and post the news if it's interesting enough.

Pat "I'm not an engineer" Fitz:
WOOF  WOOF  WOOF!   I have no hope, but I will bite you anyway :-)

Ernest, Jim, Neal (It got here :-), Steen, Jim (I'm on a Sun at
SunOS4.0.3), Dr. Debande, Aaron, Brian and Ian (as well as anyone
else who wants copies):
I will hang on to all code I have and will forward the package of
all responses and code to anyone who wishes.  Please send me mail.
If you can't get to me, then post it and I'll probably see it.

I'd like to thanks everyone for all their help.  Talk about open
systems! :-)

David Gundlach				david@rolf.stat.uga.edu
UGA Statistics				BITNET: statuga@uga
University of Georgia			404/542-3289 or 404/542-5232

I think, therefore I am wrong -- 	me

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/27/90)

In article <25094@adm.brl.mil> david@rolf.stat.uga.edu (David Gundlach) writes:
>At last I can summarize the great search for a bare-bones, stripped-
>down ascii editor for ELM, the ELectronic Mail program (thanks for
>the correction to lyman@Inference.COM and wuxing@comp.mscs.mu.edu!).

Of course, what all applications are SUPPOSED to do is to honor the EDITOR
environment variable, and if it is not set, invoke /bin/ed.  Any special
text editor you may wish to provide would have its name set as the value
of EDITOR before starting the application.

Does /bin/ed really not exist on some system?