[comp.unix.questions] Perkin-Elmer OS-32 and tape programs

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/28/90)

I need to write a tape for a person in Thailand that has some
sort of Perkin-Elmer machine running OS-32 (?).  This person
tells me this is a kind of UNIX.  However, discussion with him
leads me to the conclusion he doesn't know too much about his
system beyond that.  I asked him if he had "tar".  "No."  How
about "cpio"?  "No."  How about "mt"?  "No."

Hmm, thought I, this could be a problem.  Well, "do you have sh"?
"No."  That's my clue that he's not very conversant with his
system.

Of course, neither am I, so my question is:  what tape-reading
facilities should this system have, and what kind of tape can I
write so that I can safely assume he'll be able to extract it?  I
know he's got a 9-track drive.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

       "If you're not a docter, you're just pants" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (11/29/90)

In article <3504@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>I need to write a tape for a person in Thailand that has some
>sort of Perkin-Elmer machine running OS-32 (?).  This person
>tells me this is a kind of UNIX.  However, discussion with him
>leads me to the conclusion he doesn't know too much about his
>system beyond that.  I asked him if he had "tar".  "No."  How
>about "cpio"?  "No."  How about "mt"?  "No."

OS/32 is P-E/Concurrent's real-time OS, and != Unix (the SVr2
port to that platform is Xelos).  According to a friend still
at the company, the 8.32 release has a program 'tapecon' which
can convert from Unix tar or cpio formats.  Any earlier releases
and your friend is probably up the creek.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "We have no plans at this time to introduce new, standalone
	Apple II models." --- Robert Puette, president of Apple USA.
"Apple II Forever"?  Looks like Forever = 13 years, 6 months
	(4/15/77 - 10/15/90)