[comp.unix.questions] Show who is accessing a disk drive in real time

RAY%TEMPLEVM@pucc.princeton.edu ( Ray Lauff) (11/28/90)

I would like to be able to see who is accessing a device (read: a disk) on
my sun systems.  What I would like is a to write a little C hack to
just display on a screen or to a file the date, time, and user name of
the person using the device.

My question is--this being my first attempt at "system" programming on the
sun, where should I start?  Is there a manual which tells me where to look
in memory (i have root priv) to see who is accessing it?

Thanks for any help.

hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de (Horst Laumer) (11/30/90)

RAY%TEMPLEVM@pucc.princeton.edu ( Ray Lauff) writes:

>I would like to be able to see who is accessing a device (read: a disk) on
>my sun systems.  What I would like is a to write a little C hack to
>just display on a screen or to a file the date, time, and user name of
>the person using the device.

>My question is--this being my first attempt at "system" programming on the
>sun, where should I start?  Is there a manual which tells me where to look
>in memory (i have root priv) to see who is accessing it?

>Thanks for any help.

Why do a hack? Check out whether you got the 'fuser'-prog (normally /etc).
Works great, even to kill users using that specific FS, but is limited to
SysV as far as I know.

hl
Horst Laumer, Kantstrasse 107, D-1000 Berlin 12 ! Bang-Adress:
Domain: hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de              ! Junk-Food for Autorouters
Bang:   ...unido!fub!geminix!sunrise!hotte      ! -- me --