[comp.unix.questions] How to set up printer on SCO Xenix 386?

tonyl@ivysoft.UUCP (Y. Tony Lin of Ivysoft) (12/04/90)

I am having problems to make the printer configuration work on Xenix 2.3.
The following describes what works and what doesn't.  Please help me.

What works:
      The system is SCO Xenix 386 2.3.  Only one printer is available.
      The printer (HP III) has been defined as lp2 and the command
      	  date > /dev/lp2 [Enter]
      can send the date information to the printer correctly.  This proves
      that the printer is wired with the system and the lp2 is the right
      printer destination.  Before making it lp2 I tried to make it lp0 and
      lp1 and it didn't work. The current lp port is under IRQ5 under
      address 278 using Acer 286 Courier I/O II card.   This printer port
      works normally when I run DOS partition (not through VPix, but
      running DOS directly.)

What doesn't work:
      I followed the SCO installation and maintenance manual chaper 15 to
      set up this.  I am at the point that the command
          lpstat -r [Enter]
      indicates "Scheduler is not running."

      The HP printer has been defined via the lpinit command. The printer
      name "printer" exists.  I can try to do
          enable printer [Enter]
      the system will tell me "The printer "printer" was already enable."

      The problem seems to be the lp scheduler is not running.  So I use
      the command
          /usr/lib/lpsched [Enter]
      to enable the scheduler as said by the manual.  After the command is
      typed, the command is accepted by the system, but no response
      message.  It just came back to the command prompt #.

      When I run the "lpstat -r", the system still says "Scheduler is not
      running."

Would someone help me with this, please?

--
Y. Tony Lin	Phone: (901)763-2956  Fax: (901)683-8099
Ivysoft International, Inc., Memphis, Tennessee

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (12/05/90)

In article <13@ivysoft.UUCP>, tonyl@ivysoft.UUCP (Y. Tony Lin of Ivysoft) writes:

> I am having problems to make the printer configuration work on Xenix 2.3.
> The following describes what works and what doesn't.  Please help me.
>
>       indicates "Scheduler is not running."
>

>       The problem seems to be the lp scheduler is not running.  So I use
>       the command
>           /usr/lib/lpsched [Enter]
>       to enable the scheduler as said by the manual.  After the command is
>       typed, the command is accepted by the system, but no response
>       message.  It just came back to the command prompt #.

I had a similar problem with an ATT 3b2 a few years ago.

It seems that there is a lock file in /usr/spool/lp called SCHEDLOCK

you need to get rid of this file before starting /usr/lib/lpsched

This SHOULD work.

Mark Emanuele

--
Mark A. Emanuele