[comp.unix.questions] asynchronous I/O in SVR4?

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (11/29/90)

I don't have first hand experience with SVR4 yet, though I have access to
all the manuals that Prentice-Hall sells.  I have heard various rumblings
that asynchronous I/O was in the SVR4 design documents distributed some time
ago.  I can't find anything in the manuals about any type of asynchronous
I/O support.  But today a friend told me about all sorts of asynchronous I/O
functions mentioned in standard header files in SVR4, in particular:

/usr/include/sys/asyncio.h
/usr/include/sys/asyncsys.h
hints of an async(2) system call, an aiodaemon, an aioinit function
lots of defines for AIOxxx symbols
mention that this is Version 2, and Version 1 was a prototype

Does anyone know the story?  It would be best if AT&T stepped
forward and spilled the beans, but, in the best traditions of
Usenet, rumors and innuendo are welcome, too. :-)
Even something from AT&T along the lines of "Sure it exists
but if we told you about it, we would have to kill you." would
be okay.  Maybe only large application vendors get the details. :-(

--
A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/01/90)

In article <579@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
   Does anyone know the story?  It would be best if AT&T stepped
   forward and spilled the beans... Even something from AT&T along the
   lines of "Sure it exists but if we told you about it, we would have
   to kill you." would be okay.  Maybe only large application vendors
   get the details. :-(

How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
to SVR4) includes all of <sys/asynch.h>, aiocancel(3), aioread(3),
aiowait(3), and aiowrite(3).

>How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
>to SVR4)

Yes, that's one thing that it is.  It's also Sun's release that adds an
asynchronous I/O mechanism, but the mechanism doesn't come from S5R4, as
far as I know....